- 24-Nov-2020 to Until Filled (EST)
- Old Saybrook, CT, USA
- Full Time
The McConnell Group, www.themccgroup.com, a health science company, has an opening for a full-time Animal Care Supervisor to provide support at Plum Island Animal Disease Center. PIADC is located just off the northeastern tip of New York's Long Island. This position supports the Department of Homeland Security Research and Development Program vaccine studies by caring for large animals in accordance with established procedures.
Candidates are not eligible if they own or work with cloven hoofed animals, pigs, and chickens outside of PIADC due to biosecurity requirements. The only type of livestock that can be privately owned or worked with are horses.
- Ensure that animals are cared for and maintained in accordance with the Animal Welfare Regulations, U.S. Public Health Service Policy on the Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, and the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.
- Supervise and direct daily activities of employees to ensure that all required functions are carried out appropriately, including receiving animals, feeding and watering, sanitation and cleaning, handling and restraint, health surveillance, equipment maintenance, supply inventories, animal manipulations, laboratory procedures, and other contract-related duties.
- Define and provide adequate support to meet investigator technical and husbandry research needs.
- Follow-up on staff schedules to meet routine and emergency needs of the animals.
- Ensure appropriate staff technical training is performed to include supervision and evaluation.
- Promote AALAS certification and career development amongst employees.
- Provide direction and mentorship for employees.
- Develop a thorough understanding and provide revisions as needed to facility Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) and keep abreast of changes to SOP's.
- Ensure that all SOPs, quality assurance guidelines, and protocols are adhered to.
- Report any abnormal conditions of the animals or the facility to appropriate personnel.
- Provide oral or written reports, records, charts, logs, schedules and inventories to appropriate personnel as requested or required by the contract.
- Communicate needs for facility equipment, logistical support and management to appropriate personnel.
- Receive and execute notices, directions, and instructions from Program Management.
- Be available after hours, weekends and holidays as needed.
- BA or BS in Animal Science or related science required or 5 years of laboratory animal experience
- 3 years experience in a supervisory role
- Fundamental knowledge of animal research facility operations, animal behavior, and species specific requirements
- AALAS LATG eligible and obtained within 12 months of hire
- Certified Manager of Animal Resources (CMAR) certification preferred
- Ability to manage and supervise personnel
- Ability to maintain operation and quality control
- Must have training experience
- Must have computer program proficiency such as MS Office products
- Must have a proficient technical vocabulary
- Must be able to receive and maintain a Personal Security Level 3 (PSL-3) clearance and participate in the Occupational Health/Safety Programs.
Candidate MUST pass a government background investigation (NAC), employment physical and drug/alcohol screening. As required by law, TMG participates in E-Verify, a service of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA), to verify the identity and employment eligibility of persons hired to work in the United States.
TMG offers competitive pay and benefits packages including health insurance; paid holiday, vacation, and PTO; EAP; 401(k) and College Savings Plan.
The McConnell Group is an equal opportunity employer – EOE M/F/Disabled/Vet