- 31-Mar-2020 to Until Filled (EST)
- Old Saybrook, CT, USA
- Full Time
The McConnell Group, www.themccgroup.com, a health science company, has an opening for a full-time Lead Animal Care Technician I to provide support at Plum Island Animal Disease Center. PIADC is located just off the northeastern tip of New York's Long Island. This position supports the Department of Homeland Security Research and Development Program vaccine studies by caring for large animals in accordance with established procedures.
Candidates are not eligible if they own or work with cloven hoofed animals, pigs, and chickens outside of PIADC due to biosecurity requirements. The only type of livestock that can be privately owned or worked with are horses.
- Assigns daily tasks to animal caretakers and conveys work instructions from the AC Supervisor.
- Ensures work is assigned in a manner to prevent possible cross contamination between animal isolation rooms.
- Monitors work in progress and evaluates work at completion. Reports to supervisor on status and progress of work, and any problems that developed.
- Orders and monitors inventory of animal feed, supplies, and equipment.
- Helps ensure environmental, occupational and safety rules are followed, and that work with animals is conducted as safely as possible.
- Determines amounts and types of feed for different animal species, feeds daily, and records on VMR.
- Observes daily appearances and behaviors of experimental animals (both sick and healthy), records these in VMR, and reports to higher level employee.
- Captures, restrains, holds and positions animals for procedures, examinations, and treatments.
- Dispenses and administers medications (e.g. analgesics, anesthetics and antibiotics) and enters into VMR.
- Collects blood and other tissues, labels them correctly, and delivers expeditiously to PI.
- Euthanizes animals following prescribed protocols.
- Dispenses carcasses and body parts following established PIADC safety procedures.
- Cleans, decontaminates, and maintains animal wing spaces and cages in accordance with ARB SOPs. Operates autoclaves, pressure sprayers and misters.
- Uses appropriate PPE and equipment as described in ARB SOPs to protect self and fellow workers from contamination, infection or injury.
- Enters/exits animal isolation rooms and moves between animal rooms in strict accordance with ARB and Safety SOPs to prevent cross contamination.
- Reviews and approves ACT timesheets.
- Participates in ACT performance reviews.
- Submits information for deliverables.
- Participates in interviews and candidate selection.
- Assists with new employee on-boarding procedures.
- Mentors and trains employees.
- AA or BS degree in animal science or related science preferred.
- AALAS ALAT certification or have the equivalent training and experience to achieve certification.
- Fundamental knowledge of animal research facility operations, animal behavior, and species specific requirements.
- Fundamental knowledge of supervision and management
- Ability to train and mentor animal care staff.
- Effective verbal and written communication.
- Employee is often required to lift and carry feed materials weighing up to 75 pounds and to handle such items as feed trays weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Work requires continuous standing and walking on concrete and/or a slippery floor due to nature of the work with animals.
- Employee must have strength and agility to restrain strong and very active animals which weight approximately 500 pounds or more.
- Must be able to receive and maintain a Personal Security Level 3 (PSL-3) clearance and participate in the Occupational Health/Safety Programs.
Candidate MUST pass a government background investigation (NAC), employment physical and drug/alcohol screening. As required by law, TMG participates in E-Verify, a service of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA), to verify the identity and employment eligibility of persons hired to work in the United States.
TMG offers competitive pay and benefits packages including health insurance; paid holiday, vacation, and PTO; EAP; 401(k) and College Savings Plan.