- Baltimore, MD, USA
- $15.00 per hour
- Part Time
Port Discovery Children’s Museum provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. The museum is conveniently located right next to a subway stop, or we offer free parking to employees. Part time employees are eligible for earned sick leave as well as 401k retirement savings after 6 months of service.
As a vital part of the Guest Services Department and Port Discovery team, Play Experts are responsible for providing guests with an excellent, memorable experience, stellar customer service, and supporting the Museum's mission and educational philosophy. As a member of our team, you'll support playful learning and discovery through meaningful interaction with children and adults, ignite imaginations, and promote the power of play in children through hands-on experiences. Play experts work directly with guests in one-on-one or group scenarios to lead, educate and facilitate programming and demonstrate the workings of the museum and exhibits.
Port Discovery Children's Museum is one of the top Children's Museums in the United States and a top cultural institution in Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Our mission is to educate children through play and to inspire life-long learning.
The museum is open to the public 5 days a week (Wednesdays to Sundays), plus some holidays. We will be open all 7 days a week (Mondays to Sundays) starting in mid-June. We offer visiting families and groups two play sessions per day. Play Expert work shifts are 9:30 am to 5:30 pm.
This is a part-time position, and we are looking for Experts that can commit to work at a minimum of three days a week. Once the schedule is determined, it is the same weekly. We can offer up to 29 hours per week.
This is an entry-level position, with a starting rate of $15.00 per hour.
Port Discovery is seeking individuals who are:
- Energetic, enthusiastic, creative, dependable and flexible
- Passionate about play and making a difference in children's lives and the community
- Comfortable engaging with parents and children of multiple age groups
- Calm under pressure and have excellent communication skills
- Embody Port Discovery's educational and guest services philosophy through positive and proactive customer service interactions
- Enthusiastically greet and engage with children and families throughout the museum to promote the power of play and a fun learning experience
- Perform for special audiences such as youth school groups, camp groups, and birthday parties with interactive programs developed by the museum
- Support and provide information regarding museum activities, programs, and events
- Assist in quality control and maintenance of exhibit areas according to our safety, security, and cleanliness procedures
- Attend and participate in daily opening meetings, department meetings, trainings and other meetings as scheduled
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma
- One-year experience working or volunteering with children in an educational, arts, recreational or theatrical setting
- Demonstrated ability to work well with children and adults in a welcoming, friendly, outgoing, and professional manner
- Strong customer service skills
- A background in theater, arts or education is a huge plus
- Ability to express ideas clearly and present information effectively to museum guests
- Ability to work a flexible, variable schedule, including some holidays, evenings and weekend days
- Ability to speak clearly and effectively in crowded settings
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Must be 18 years of age and able to pass a criminal background check
Port Discovery provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. Additional benefits include:
- Convenient location next to a subway stop, or we offer free parking
- Free admission to the Museum for family
- Earned time off for sick leave
- Retirement savings with Museum match after 6 months
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
Must be able to meet physical demands of job to include walking, standing, climbing, bending, kneeling and lifting / moving objects up to 25 pounds. Largest amount of time is spent standing. Must not be afraid of heights. Work is performed indoors, and the noise level is usually moderate to high. Must be comfortable working amongst small groups of children and caregivers.
- Proof of Covid-19 vaccination required
- Virtual interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Physical distancing guidelines in place
- Capacity levels set in exhibit spaces
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
- Daily health screening process
We will also provide you with a memorable experience of being part of a world-class institution, the ability for you to be a key ingredient in our creative and informal programming, and the opportunity to experience our unique job-related training. Bring us your enthusiasm and passion!
Send us your resume and cover letter, and let's start this journey together!
To learn more about Port Discovery Children's Museum, visit https://www.portdiscovery.org/. Port Discovery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.