- Part Time
Thanksgiving Point Institute is a 501(C)(3) nonprofit farm, garden and museum complex that draws upon the natural world to cultivate transformative family learning.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Define the job duties of this position.
- Interact with visitors of all ages at the Museum of Natural Curiosity, Museum of Ancient Life, Farm Country, Ashton Gardens and (starting January 2019) the Butterfly Biosphere to ignite transformative family learning and guide exploration.
- Engage guests in play activities to stimulate learning curiosity and foster critical thinking.
- Foster an environment where positive, meaningful experiences naturally happen, and where multiple ideas are valued and explored.
- Assist with delivery of facilitated and unfacilitated programs including school field trips, school outreach, birthday parties, day camps, and other educational programs.
- Model and foster curiosity and inquiry learning skills, like questioning, exploring, testing, refining, and explaining during program delivery and interactions.
- Collaborate with other Education staff to develop, evaluate, and refine facilitated and unfacilitated experiences.
- Evaluate visitor experiences using appropriate tools and methodologies.
- Accept and include all guests as they are and welcome them without expectation or judgment.
SHIFT HOURS AND DAYS REQUIRED:
- This is a part time position.
- Must be available to work a minimum of 15 hours per week, including Saturdays.
- Variable shifts, including some required Saturdays and holidays, within the time frame of 7:00 am to 9:00 pm, with some evenings later on occasion.
SKILL REQUIREMENTS: Identify the knowledge, skills and abilities required and preferred to do this job.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative workplace, and to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Ability to work patiently in high-activity, high-energy, noisy environments.
- Experience teaching or facilitating in formal or informal learning environments.
- Understanding of inquiry-based learning is strongly preferred.
- Experience working with learners of different ages and abilities is preferred.
- Early childhood experience preferred.
- Ability to climb stairs, bend, and stand for extended periods of time in order to facilitate interactions and ensure safety of guests on climbing and other physically-focused exhibits.
- Ability to manipulate small objects, scissors, keyboard, etc. in order to do material preparation, program delivery, clean up, and maintenance.
- Ability to work around and with animals and in outdoor settings.
- Ability to work around and with arthropods, including insects and arachnids, preferred.
- Availability to work mornings preferred.
- Availability to work Saturdays, holidays, and evenings as part of a program driven variable schedule.
- Valid Utah Driver's License preferred.
- Must pass a background check.
Thanksgiving Point Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to welcome, hire, employ, train, and promote all humans. Our team is composed of diverse individuals who embrace and celebrate their diversity, and learn from each other to grow together.
Thanksgiving Point Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to welcome, hire, employ, train, and promote all humans. Our team is composed of diverse individuals who embrace and celebrate their diversity and learn from each other to grow together.