- New York, NY, USA
- Part Time
REPORTS TO: Operations Manager, SVA Theatre
POSITION OVERVIEW: Under the direction of the SVA Theatre Director and Operations Manager, the House Manager will assist the SVA Theatre with front-of-house duties and general event oversight and management. You will be working with a smart, friendly team in a fun, fast-paced environment, and will be overseeing some of the most prestigious arts events in New York City.
SVA Theatre hosts events year-round, on mornings, afternoons, and evenings, on weekdays and weekends, and on some holidays. There are certain times during the year when there are very few events, and we cannot guarantee a set amount of hours per week or month. Most events average six hours. House Managers choose what events they wish to work on, but we ask that you generally have a flexible schedule with good availability.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Be the point person for event hosts, providing necessary front-of-house support.
- Supervise house staff and the front of the house to ensure smooth event operations.
- Assist with the management of event hosts, caterers, and VIP guests.
- Assist with event setup (which requires moving heavy objects).
- Provide a high level of customer service and ensure the safety of, all guests.
- 2-3 years of customer service experience is required.
- The prior event, festival, house management, and/or ushering experience preferred.
- The ability to work days and/or evenings, weekdays and/or weekends.
- A background, knowledge, and/or love for the arts (especially film).
- Personable, friendly, and helpful team player with a positive attitude.
- Strong management, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multitask and prioritize accordingly.
- A general understanding of theatrical technology is a plus.
- Fireguard licensure is a plus but is not required
School of Visual Arts has been a leader in the education of artists, designers, and creative professionals for nearly seven decades. With a faculty of distinguished working professionals, a dynamic curriculum, and an emphasis on critical thinking, SVA is a catalyst for innovation and social responsibility. Comprised of more than 6,000 students at its Manhattan campus and 35,000 alumni in 100 countries, SVA also represents one of the most influential artistic communities in the world.
Find out what it's like to work at SVA. Visit www.sva.edu/workingatsva.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion is a core principle of the College. SVA enjoys a community that represents a significant number of historically underrepresented communities, ethnic and religious backgrounds, gender identities, diverse abilities, and foreign countries, and all are encouraged to apply.