Job Title: Maintenance Technician
Reports To: Facilities Manager & Director of Facilities-Operations
Position Overview: Responsible for performing mechanical repairs and preventative maintenance.
Tech A: 12 am - 8 am, Mon-Fri
Tech B: 12 am - 8 am, Wed-Sun
Tech C: 8 am - 4 pm, Mon-Fri
Tech D: 8 am - 4 pm, Sat-Wed
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acknowledge and complete work orders and daily tasks in a timely manner.
- Inspects assigned buildings on a routine basis.
- Sanitize and disinfect high traffic areas throughout the day.
- Perform electrical maintenance to include but not be limited to replacement or repair of fixtures (e.g., wall switches and outlets, incandescent and fluorescent bulbs and tubes, ballast, sockets, etc.) using appropriate hand, power, and specialty tools.
- Perform plumbing maintenance (e.g., replacement or repair of leaks in showers, sinks, drains, and faucets, unclogging of drains, repairing pipe leaks, repair or replacement of flushometers, HVAC equipment, and filters, irrigation lines, trenching and laying new lines, winterization, etc.).
- Perform building and/or masonry repairs such as preparing cement, installing patching and finishing cement work, and replacing damaged masonry and pavers.
- Perform carpentry and painting work (e.g., repairing furniture, preparing surfaces, and using brush, sprayer, or roller to apply paints, stains, and varnishes, hanging doors, fitting locks, and handles, replacing floors, carpet tiles, ceiling tiles, etc.).
- Perform other duties as directed or required which may include inspection and repair of site furnishings; snow and ice removal; set-up and breakdown of classrooms and special events; move furniture and equipment.
- Participate in the winterization of buildings (e.g., cleaning roof gutters, building integrity, mechanical survey, etc.).
- Respond to emergency calls and shift coverage as needed.
- Maintain work logs via Work Order management system.
- Escort vendors and/or city agencies (Building Dept., FDNY, HVAC) upon request.
- Participate and attend department meetings, college functions, and events as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED.
- 2-3 years of relevant building maintenance experience.
- Will need to obtain FDNY Certificate of Fitness S-12, S13, S95 within 6 months of hiring date.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in repair, maintenance, and replacement in the areas of carpentry, painting, plumbing, HVAC, electrical, and basic locksmith knowledge.
- Ability to perform a variety of physical tasks, including but not limited to climbing ladders, bending, kneeling, reaching, and standing for long periods of time, walking, lifting, and carrying boxes up to 50 lbs., tools, equipment, and building materials.
- Work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must be flexible and dependable with the ability to work overtime on an as-needed basis (college events, department coverage, holidays, and weekends).
- Willingness to cross-train for additional job functions and to take training to obtain necessary certificates.
- Must be adaptable to schedule and location changes.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills as well as entry-level computer skills (Word, Excel, Email Work Order System) as well as ability to use smartphone devices.
School of Visual Arts has been a leader in the education of artists, designers, and creative professionals for nearly seven decades. With a faculty of distinguished working professionals, dynamic curriculum, and an emphasis on critical thinking, SVA is a catalyst for innovation and social responsibility. Comprised of more than 6,000 students at its Manhattan campus and 35,000 alumni in 100 countries, SVA also represents one of the most influential artistic communities in the world.
Find out what it's like to work at SVA. Visit www.sva.edu/workingatsva
No walk-ins or phone calls, please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion is a core principle of the College. SVA enjoys a community that represents a significant number of historically underrepresented communities, ethnic and religious backgrounds, gender identities, diverse abilities, and foreign countries, and all are encouraged to apply.