- 04-May-2021 to Until Filled (MST)
- Cedar City, UT, USA
- Commensurate with experience
- Full Time
Counseling and Psychological Services at Southern Utah University (SUU) is looking to fill a staff psychologist position in a growing and dynamic college counseling center.
We are looking for an energetic psychologist interested in being part of a warm and supportive multidisciplinary team. Salaries are competitive with a strong benefits package. This is an 11-month position with non-contract and annual vacation leave.
Along with general counseling center duties, the new psychologist will hopefully bring experience and desire to help develop a comprehensive student development center. We have an APA approved pre-doctoral internship where the training and supervision of interns is central to our mission. The university is also creating a Psy D program, which will bring opportunities for counseling center staff to develop professionally. We work hard to create an inclusive environment and engage in culturally sensitive practice for clients, staff, and trainees. The successful candidate will have counseling experience in university settings as well as training, supervision, consulting, assessment, and outreach experience. Candidates must have earned a doctorate in clinical or counseling psychology with graduation from an APA approved program preferred. Licensure in the state of Utah and two years post-internship experience is preferred. The position will remain open until filled.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Clinical services 65% - Provide individual face-to-face and teletherapy psychotherapy, consultation, intake, psychoeducational assessment, and crisis interventions. Prepare for sessions and maintain accurate and up-to-date records of clinical services, provide group therapy and other clinical services relevant to a college student population (e.g., biofeedback, mindfulness, career assessment and counseling, etc.).
Outreach services 10% - Prepare for and provide outreach presentations and workshops. Serve on departmental, division, and university committees. Build a strong collaborative relationship with faculty, staff, and students.
Training services 10% - Provide individual and group clinical supervision and training of doctoral-level trainees and undergraduate paraprofessionals. Review supervisees' clinical paperwork and session recordings. Evaluate supervisees and provide meaningful feedback, letters of recommendation, and training seminars.
Other professional responsibilities 15% - Practice all responsibilities in accordance with ethical and professional standards and state laws. Understand and comply with CAPS and university policies and procedures. Effectively participate in administrative and professional activities (e.g., CAPS staff and division meetings/trainings, case conferences, peer consultations, professional development, etc.). Foster excellent working relationships with co-workers, increase knowledge and develop new skills or abilities that contribute to effective service provision, contribute to the evaluation and improvement of CAPS, and other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Doctoral degree in counseling or clinical psychology from an APA-accredited doctoral program, completion of a doctoral internship, and an ability to be licensed in the state of Utah within 2 years. ABD will be considered if defense date is set and confirmed by the applicant's program.
- Experience in a university counseling setting and/or experience in areas related directly to mental health needs in a college population.
- Generalist base of knowledge and experience in counseling, and familiarity with developmental approaches to treatment and supervision.
- Experience with psychoeducational assessment.
- Excellent interpersonal, community building, problem solving, decision-making skills, and a commitment to both being part of a team and personal well-being.
- Ability to work and coordinate with CAPS clinicians and to work effectively as an independent and self-motivated, professional staff member.
- Willingness and capacity to effectively use such telehealth media as Zoom.
- Skills, knowledge, and experience specifically focused on the needs of students of color, students from indigenous communities, LGBTQIA students, international students, students from diverse religious affiliations, students with disabilities, undocumented students, and/or first generation college students on a university campus.
- Experience and interest in conducting group therapy.
- Experience providing supervision.
- Experience in providing psychoeducational workshops relevant to the campus community.
- Experience with teaching and program development.
- Experience with biofeedback.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Fluency in language other than English.
- Skills with technology (Word, Titanium, webpage development, etc.)
Documents Needed to Apply:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Diversity and Inclusion
- Contact information for 3 professional references
Please direct inquiries to Curt Hill at 435-865-8621.
Southern Utah University is committed to maintaining a community which recognizes and values the worth and dignity of every person; fosters tolerance, understanding, and mutual respect among its members; and encourages individual commitment to personal responsibilities in equal measure with personal rights. In pursuit of its goal of academic excellence, the University seeks to develop and nurture diversity. The University believes that diversity among its many members strengthens the institution, stimulates creativity, promotes the exchange of ideas, and enriches campus life.
Southern Utah University does not discriminate against any member of the University community on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status, pregnancy, pregnancy-related condition, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable law in employment, treatment, admission, access to educational programs and activities, or other University benefits or services.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!