- Houston, TX, USA
- Full Time
Full time benefit eligible position including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, vacation, retirement 403b plan, and tuition remission
University of St. Thomas
The University of St. Thomas (UST), a private Catholic University committed to the liberal arts and the religious and intellectual tradition of Catholic higher education, located in Houston, Texas, near the vibrant central business district, Texas Medical Center, and museum district, is seeking applicants for a full-time Campus Minister. The position reports directly to the Director of Campus Ministry and is within the Student Affairs organization. This position will actively contribute towards furthering our Student Affairs Board of Trustee charges to strengthen UST's (a) student success efforts and (b) Catholic mission and faith integration efforts.
The Campus Minister is a ministry position directly involved with student formation in the areas of Catholic outreach and spiritual integration of the campus community. This position develops and implements service opportunities, Hispanic ministry initiatives, and community events, as well as provides support for the catechesis of students through the RCIA and Confirmation preparation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide pastoral care and spiritual guidance to students on an ongoing basis.
- Plan, organize, and facilitate service opportunities for the UST community in the local, national, and global community, incorporating theological reflection on principles of Catholic social teaching.
- Develop and lead the Service Break Experience program, based on the following five pillars: spirituality, justice, community, solidarity, and simplicity, including coordination of all trip logistics and formation of students.
- Provide support and mentorship for the University's Catholic Relief Services (CRS) Ambassadors chapter.
- Create Catholic community engagement events, including monthly feast day celebrations, Festival of St. Thomas, annual faith concert, etc.
- Work collaboratively with the Chaplain in supporting and coordinating Hispanic ministry initiatives, including Spanish small groups, Mass, and prayer opportunities.
- Assist Director in leading RCIA and Confirmation preparation for students and, if needed, facilitate catechetical sessions in Spanish.
- Directly supervise student interns for Service, Justice, Community Events, and/or Hispanic Ministry.
- Work collaboratively with faculty, staff, and on-campus groups in order to engage students in Campus Ministry activities.
- Advise the Campus Ministry team on various aspects of Catholic identity for the University.
- Participate in various meetings that help support Campus Ministry goals and objectives.
- Serve as UST representative on Young Adult and Campus Ministry activities with the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston. May serve as a representative of Campus Ministry, as requested (e.g. Care Team, Spiritual Integration Committee, etc.)
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Campus Ministry.
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree in Divinity, Theology, or Liturgy from an accredited Catholic university is required. A Master's level degree preferred. If not already completed, this position would involve working towards the completion of a Master's degree.
- Incumbent must be a practicing Catholic in good standing with the Roman Catholic Church.
- Minimum 3 years of work experience in ministerial activities related to the faith development of young adults.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in planning and organizing various young adult programs related to service, social justice, and/or catechesis.
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Fluency in reading, writing, and speaking Spanish is strongly preferred.
- Excellent organization skills and the ability to prioritize projects and activities.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with others.
- Possess the enthusiasm, creativity, knowledge, and energy needed to meet the demands of the position.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the spiritual and pastoral needs of the targeted age group which they intend to serve.
- Must be reliable and dependable to meet the scheduled work hours which will include evenings and weekends, as planned.
- Demonstrate an intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and other graphic design software (e.g. Canva, InDesign, Finale, etc.)
- Position will require occasional work during non-traditional business hours and on Sundays, Holy Days (e.g. Easter, Christmas, etc.), and weekends at specific events such as service projects, evening programs, week-long Service Break Experiences, etc. Physical requirements are those of a normal business office. A valid driver's license required in order to attend retreats and other events off-campus.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer