- Houston, TX, USA
- Full Time
Benefits eligible including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, tuition remission and retirement plan.
University of St. Thomas
The University of St. Thomas (UST), a private Catholic University committed to the liberal arts and the religious and intellectual tradition of Catholic higher education, located in Houston, Texas, near the vibrant central business district, Texas Medical Center, and museum district, is seeking applicants for a full-time Campus Minister. This position is within Student Affairs and reports directly to the Director of Campus Ministry.
The Campus Minister is a ministry position directly involved with students in the areas of faith development and spiritual integration of the campus community. This position develops and implements retreats, faith-based households, and other initiatives strengthen the faith community on campus. This position reports directly to the Director of Campus Ministry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, organize, and facilitate student retreats, including fall and spring weekend overnight retreats, Busy Student Retreat, and Advent and Lenten mini retreats. This position will be required to attend the retreats and assist in facilitating the retreat.
- Collaborate with Residence Life in promoting, developing, and supervising faith-based households on campus.
- Work collaboratively with the Chaplain in supporting and coordinating the liturgical life of the faith community on campus and developing spiritual programs such as catechetical speaker series, daily prayer, and faith formation opportunities for students; serve as primary sacristan for Masses at the Chapel of St. Basil.
- Assist Director in leading RCIA and Confirmation preparation for students.
- Directly supervise student interns for retreats, spiritual development, and/or households.
- Develop communication material announcing various activities and highlighting key campus ministry programs.
- Work collaboratively with other on-campus groups in order to engage students in Campus Ministry activities.
- Advise the Campus Ministry team on various aspects of Catholic identity for the University.
- Participate in various meetings that help support Campus Ministry goals and objectives.
- Support other areas of ministry and offer ministry of presence at university tradition events.
- Serve as a rehearsal and day-of liturgical coordinator for weddings held in the Chapel of St. Basil, as needed on a rotating basis with Campus Ministry staff.
- Serve as UST representative on Young Adult and Campus Ministry activities with the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston. May serve as a representative of Campus Ministry, as requested (e.g. Care Team, Spiritual Integration Committee, etc.)
- Provide pastoral care and spiritual guidance to students on an ongoing basis.
- Actively contribute towards furthering our Student Affairs Board of Trustee charges to strengthen UST's (a) Catholic mission and faith integration efforts, and (b) student success efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Campus Ministry.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Master's degree in Divinity, Theology, Liturgy, or commensurate experience required. If not already completed, this position would involve working towards the completion of a Master's degree.
- Incumbent must be a practicing Catholic in good standing with the Catholic Church.
- Minimum 3 years of work experience in ministerial activities related to the faith development of young adults.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in planning and organizing various young adult programs, retreats, and events.
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent organization skills and the ability to prioritize projects and activities.
- Ability and a deep desire to work in collaboration with others.
- Possess the enthusiasm, creativity, knowledge, and energy needed to meet the demands of the position.
- Demonstrate the love and understanding of the age group that they intend to serve.
- Must be reliable and dependable to meet the scheduled work hours.
- Demonstrate an intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and other graphic design software (e.g. Canva, InDesign, Finale, etc.)
- Position will require working on occasional Sundays, Holy Days (e.g. Easter, Christmas, etc.), evenings, and weekends at specific events such as retreats, weddings, etc. Physical requirements are those of a normal business office. A valid driver's license required in order to attend retreats and other events off-campus.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer