- 20-Sep-2021 to Until Filled (CST)
- Grounds Maintenance
- San Antonio, TX, USA
- $11.00hr to $11.50hr
- Full Time
Competitive Pay; Generous vacation, sick, & holiday benefits; Excellent health & welfare benefits with 100% tuition assistance available.
Maintains the appearance of the University grounds and paved areas using a variety of hand and powered grounds equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Mows turf areas using various powered mowing equipment.
- Trims walks, curbs and flowerbeds, using edgers and line trimmers.
- Prunes shrubs and trees with both hand and powered tools.
- Weeds and mulches shrub/flower beds and weeds turf areas.
- Waters turf, trees, shrubs, and flowerbeds using both manual methods and automated sprinkler systems.
- Performs the policing of the grounds and trash removal of outside trash receptacles.
- Fertilizes turf and shrubs. Assists with insect and disease control.
- Makes repairs to pavement areas and fencing as necessary.
- Digs ditches, does grading and sloping of ground areas.
- Performs operator maintenance on all grounds equipment.
- Lays sod, plants shrubs, trees, and flowers as required.
- Performs all duties in a safe and professional manner.
- Maintain satisfactory and harmonious relationships with the public and fellow employees each day to assure/sustain quality service and appropriate interactions with others.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- One year work experience required; Experience on grounds keeping preferred.
- Must clear and maintain a favorable background investigation and clearance.
- Must maintain a valid driver's license, motor vehicle liability insurance and personal injury insurance, and complete the University Van Driver Training within 90 days of employment date.
- Must be or be willing to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by date of hire to be considered for employment, unless an accommodation is requested and approved
- Ability to read written instructions, warning labels, SDS Sheets in English.
- Possess legible penmanship (print & handwriting)
- Proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing English.
- Possess Mathematical ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in order to compute material costs as required for completion of the work order forms.
- Possess eyesight in both eyes correct to 20/20.
- Possess normal hearing ability (may be corrected).
- Must observe safety precautions when working in the presence of extreme noise, mechanical, electrical, and other hazardous situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to successfully handle frustrating conditions such as limits on time, limited access to equipment, and dealing with uncomfortable customers.
- Able to carry 50 pounds up and down stairs
- Frequent standing, kneeling/squatting, bending/ stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
- Frequent walking, climbing stairs/ladder/scaffolding, grasping/squeezing, wrist flexion/extension, and overhead reaching; frequent driving
- Work outside and inside, on slippery or uneven walking surfaces; frequent exposure to extreme hot and cold temperatures, insects, dust, toxic chemicals and fumes, noise, vibration, and electrical hazards; workaround gas lines; work around machinery with moving parts; may work in tight or enclosed spaces; may work alone; may work irregular hour.
St. Mary's University is a Hispanic-Serving Institution and an Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to furthering diversity, equity, and inclusion and encourages all qualified candidates apply.