- 06-Oct-2021 to 06-Dec-2021 (EST)
- Washington, DC, USA
- Intern - Full Time
Deadline to apply: December 6, 2021
Digital Communications Internship
Henry L. Stimson Center, a nonpartisan public policy research institute committed to finding and promoting practical and innovative solutions to national and international security challenges, seeks an energetic and creative individual to assist with the daily operations in Stimson's Communications Department.
Stimson offers unique internship opportunities based on the values of education, participation, and hands-on practical knowledge. Based on the Center's commitment to professional development, expectations for interns are high. In return, interns can expect a challenging environment that will prepare them for full-time employment in a professional setting. Interns will gain experience with nonprofit communications, as well as an opportunity to interact with all of Stimson's programs,
Responsibilities of the Communications intern include:
- Draft and publish copy for Stimson's social media channels, maintaining brand consistency and tone across platforms
- Research current events in foreign policy and international relations to connect Stimson's work to timely and/or trending topics on social media.
- Assist in writing website content, press releases, and mass emails
- Work with the graphic design intern to create infographics for various platforms
- Monitor news coverage and maintaining a media database
- Create and maintain media lists
- Identify opportunities for Stimson experts to respond to issues in the news
- Develop outreach and dissemination strategies for product releases
- Assist with video shooting and editing tasks as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Students majoring in communications, journalism, public relations with a background in international relations preferred. Recent graduates also accepted.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including experience with proofreading and condensing complex information into quick summaries.
- Familiarity with social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn, as well as a basic understanding of how the news media operate.
- Familiarity with AP Style
- Some experience working with design platforms such as Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Spark, Canva, etc.
- Strong interest in foreign policy issues and international relations
- Highly motivated and sincere in your desire for an internship that is challenging and professional in nature.
- Positive attitude and ability to work independently and as part of a team
This is an unpaid internship. Full time or part time available hours can be flexible for the right candidate.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing or work samples as part of your application.