- HCC- Health & Counseling
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
Director of Counseling Services
St. Edward's University of Austin, Texas invites applications for the position of Director of Counseling Services. The Director of Counseling Services works collaboratively within the University community to provide leadership, vision, and strategic planning and management of operations for university Counseling Services. Responsible for the day-to-day operations and services of the counseling program. Provides leadership to mental health and wellbeing initiatives within the Center and Division of Student Affairs in service of the broader University community.
For consideration, a Master's degree in Counseling, Social Work, or related field is required. State full licensure within 18 months of hire with supervisor credential preferred. Must have working knowledge of the impacts of mental, physical, spiritual, social, environmental, vocational, and financial wellbeing on student success. Successful experience providing counseling to young adults ages 17-26. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to lead a team of mental health professionals. Experience in mental health case management, crisis intervention and community programming. Knowledge of diversity, equity and inclusion and culturally appropriate services. Ability to work effectively in a brief psychotherapy approach and collegiately in a diverse, multicultural community. Ability to work congruently within the mission of the university, division, and department. Must have working knowledge of HIPPA and FERPA and understanding of confidentiality, inclusive, and equitable practice. Must also have the ability to successfully pass a criminal background check.
Preferred qualifications include: Doctoral degree in clinical or counseling psychology or other closely related discipline from an APA accredited program with three years of post-doctoral clinical experience. Related experience in higher education and student development. Upper level administrative leadership position experience. Spanish fluency. Specialization and/or experience working with BIPOC communities strongly preferred.
Essential Responsibilities Include:
- In alignment with the University's holistic LiveWellSEU initiative, oversees the development and implementation of a variety of services, programs and activities designed to address student emotional health needs that contribute to overall wellbeing.
- Provides clinical management of counseling services as a part of a holistic approach to student mental health and wellbeing.
- Work closely with campus leaders on university- wide student health and wellness issues.
- Develops policies and procedures for counseling services.
- Oversees supervision of mental health counselors, doctoral trainees, and support staff.
- Prepares and manages the budget for counseling services.
- Develops a departmental strategic plan and assesses goals, objectives, and the overall effectiveness of programs and services in support of holistic student wellbeing.
- Oversees and participates in training, outreach, and consultation where appropriate.
- Support and oversee 24/7 crisis intervention system including 24/7 contracted counselor call line.
- Provides individual clinical supervision to provisionally licensed counseling staff/trainees as needed. Interfaces with the various areas of the Division of Student Affairs, participates as a team member on the divisional leadership team in advancing the work of the division.
- Participates and provides mental health oversight to various university student support teams including but not limited to: Threat Assessment and Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT), Crisis Intervention Response Team (CIRT).
- Adheres to professional and ethical guidelines and ensures that the department complies with university policies as well as state and federal laws related to mental health services.
- Collaborates with community partners and 3rd party vendors as needed to provide the necessary mental health services to the St. Edward's campus community.
- Other duties as assigned
For detailed information, please scroll to the bottom of the page to download the job description.
The University offers an excellent TOTAL REWARDS package!
Medical & Rx Coverage - UMR (HSA & FSA Available)
Dental - Sunlife Dental
Vision - Sunlife Vision Plan
Short Term Disability (STD) Insurance
Long Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Annual Leave & Paid Sick Leave
Retirement Plan - (TIAA) Employee 5%/Employer Match 7%
Services & Discounts
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit an online application at; https://stedwards.applicantpro.com. Please include resume, and three employment references. No Calls Please. Applications will not be considered if it is missing any of these three items.
In your cover letter, please describe your lived experiences that prepare you to contribute to diversity and inclusion at St. Edward's University?
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
St. Edward's University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
ABOUT ST. EDWARD'S UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students. An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at; https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summary
OTHER ITEMS TO KNOW
We are not offering sponsorship at this time.
A criminal history background check is required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
Reference #: J202016849