- Boston, MA, USA
- Part Time
Job Listing: Accounting Clerk
Nothing beats the power of being at a live event. That's why we're proud to announce the launch of Sodexo Live!, our brand dedicated to the sports, events and hospitality industry. We concentrate all of our skills, insight, and experience into one brand that instinctively knows how to make the most of every moment. Let's go Live! together.
Location: We are seeking an experienced Accounting Clerk for the Boston Symphony Orchestra.
The Boston Symphony Orchestra is an American orchestra based in Boston, Massachusetts. It is the second-oldest of the five major American symphony orchestras commonly referred to as the "Big Five." The Boston Symphony Orchestra gave its inaugural concert in 1881. Today the BSO reaches millions of listeners through not only concert performances in Boston and at Tanglewood, but also via streaming on BSO NOW, educational and community programs, radio, television, recordings and tours.
The Accounting Clerk is an entry level accounting position which requires strong numbers orientation, problem-solving skills, research skills, computer skills and attention to detail.
The Accounting Clerk is responsible for providing accounting support to the Accounting Manager or other management personnel within the business unit. He or she will perform basic accounting tasks such as keying daily worksheets into the general ledger system, ensuring files are complete and maintained, handling accounts receivable or payable duties, and other functions to generally support the department.
This position may be found in a variety of Sodexo Live! business environments of varying size and volume, to include convention centers, sporting or events arenas or other entertainment-related venues. The Accounting Clerk will typically work as part of a larger accounting team.
- Perform accounting and clerical duties as assigned by Accounting Manager, Unit Controller or other supervisory staff.
- Answer correspondence and inquiries relative to the accounting department.
- Record business transactions and key daily worksheets to the general ledger system
- Prepare refunds, adjustments and special billings as needed.
- Conduct daily audits of revenue postings and adjustments.
- Maintain credit card reconciliation and ensure proper balances on a daily basis.
- Compile and sort invoices and checks.
- Issue checks for accounts payable and prepare for mailing.
- Input vouchers, invoices, checks, account statements, reports, and other business records.
- Process bills and invoices for prompt payment.
- Retrieve and open daily mail; Match payments to invoices and invoices to work orders.
- Utilize Lawson system to access and maintain databases, pay invoices and order necessary supplies.
- Using Sodexo Live!'s collections procedures, follow up on delinquent accounts.
- Research, track, and resolve issues and discrepancies, as directed.
- Accomplish accounting and administrative mission by completing work in a proactive and efficient manner.
- Apply consistent focus on the internal customer by paying close attention to detail in the performance of all tasks.
- Review personal work for accuracy, quantity, timeliness, adherence to prescribed procedures.
- Communicate with Unit Controller, General Manager, internal departments and external agencies, as necessary.
- Assist fellow employees in other departments; Serve as an information resource for the unit and provide education on accounting processes as needed.
- Participate in and foster positive team relations with fellow team members and employees in other departments.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Confer with Accounting Manager or Unit Controller regarding problem areas; Make recommendations for increasing efficiency and for changing procedures.
- Perform other related duties, tasks and responsibilities as required from time to time.
- High school diploma, some college and/or appropriate combination of education and work experience to support on-the-job effectiveness.
- Six months of previous experience or exposure to accounting principles and procedures.
- Ability to work independently, exercising appropriate skills for effective judgment, creative problem solving and taking initiative.
- Excellent communication skills, with ability to deliver and interpret information across various sources.
- Exceptional ability to provide a high level of customer service.
- Numbers orientation, with ability to accurately compute various mathematical equations.
- Exceptional computer literacy with Microsoft Office Suite software
- Able to work effectively and safely while subject to wet floors, temperature extremes and excessive noise; must be able to lift up to 50 pounds in weight; must be able to maneuver in an often tightly-quartered environment.
Hours may be extended or irregular to include nights, weekends and holidays.
Thank you for expressing interest in employment with Sodexo Live!. While only those candidates considered for this position will be contacted, your resume will remain on file for 90 days.
Sodexo Live! is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.