Society for Science is a non-profit membership organization dedicated to public engagement in scientific research and education. We have an immediate opening for a Business Analyst and this person will report to the Director of Business Systems.
To perform the job successfully, this candidate must have an understanding of the full software development life cycle, agile methodologies, web development, and web technologies and be able to contribute to building and working with a positive team. Candidates should be able to gather and analyze information, document requirements, build roadmaps for projects, review work products created by developers and vendors along with identifying problems in a timely manner, and prioritize objectives and goals effectively.
This is an exempt position.
Responsibilities (not limited to)
- Responsible for assimilating, interpreting, and analyzing data trends throughout the operation to support the IT function
- Gather and document requirements and change requests along with creating and maintaining other functional documentation
- Assist with the implementation and support of business information systems across multiple departments
- Help identify problems and opportunities within the organization and provide solutions that help resolve issues, increase efficiency and ultimately create streamlined
- Work with various stakeholders to identify key data points and corresponding data sources needed for the business to track against measurable performance indicators
- Develop and monitor data quality metrics and ensure business data and reporting needs are met
- Evaluate business processes, anticipate requirements, uncover areas for improvement, and implement solutions
- Lead ongoing reviews of business processes and develop optimization strategies, stay current on the latest process and IT advancements to automate and modernize systems, and conduct meetings and presentations to share ideas and findings
- Perform requirements analysis and documentation and communicate the results of efforts to stakeholders
- Effectively communicate insights and plans to cross-functional team members and management
- Gather critical information from meetings with various stakeholders producing useful reports
- Ensure solutions meet business needs and requirements
- Perform user acceptance testing
- Update, implement, and maintain procedures and prioritize initiatives based on business needs and requirements
- Excellent written, analytical, problem-solving, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, and work independently
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple priorities
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Motivated, self-directed, results-oriented, and customer-focused Detail-oriented and possess a desire for quality
- Experience in working on distributed or remote teams
- Understanding of software development life cycles (agile, waterfall, iterative)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee usually works in an office setting. Our office is located near the Dupont Circle and Farragut North Metro stations. Due to the pandemic, the Society has a temporary remote work policy until at least September 5, 2022, and is likely transitioning to a hybrid work model.
Position Type and Expected Hours
This is a full-time, exempt position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday during normal office hours of the Society. Light travel for some of the organization's events is necessary in this position.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year College or University; or four years of related experience
- 3 to 6 years of relevant working experience
Society for Science has mandated the COVID-19 vaccine for employees coming into the office and attending Society events. Exceptions to the vaccine requirement may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and cover letter to be considered for this position.
Please apply through Applicant Pro
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Society for Science is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover every duty, responsibility and activity that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.