The Alumni Relations Intern works with a vibrant alumni relations and fundraising team - encompassing alumni engagement, annual giving, corporate and foundation relations, major gifts, and development operations. The intern will help Society for Science improve our data and engagement with past participants of the Society's Science Talent Search, ISEF, and Broadcom MASTERS competitions.
Start date is negotiable. Applicants planning to receive course credit for this internship should provide any necessary information regarding requirements to the Society.
- Conduct research on past participants of the Society's science competitions
- Assist with identifying potential speakers and giving prospects
- Perform data entry and analysis using Blackbaud Raiser's Edge and Microsoft Access
- Support the Senior Alumni Relations Specialist with posting to and managing the Society Alumni Network
- Assist with planning and/or executing virtual alumni events
- Assist with general administrative duties
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Database experience preferred (Raiser's Edge, Access, Excel)
- Customer service experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, Outlook
- High attention to detail and demonstrated proactive and strategic approach to daily tasks
- Proficiency with Internet searches
- Demonstrated ability to work with others as a team
- Understanding of and affinity for the core values of the Society
- Our office is located near the Dupont Circle and Farragut North Metro stations. This position is remote with the possibility of in-office responsibilities or opportunities at our local competitions.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to operate a computer and other office equipment.
Position Type and Expected Hours
- This is a part-time internship with a term of 3-6 months. The Alumni Relations Intern will work 15-35 hours per week and will be paid a rate of $16 per hour. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday during normal office hours of the Society.
Required Education and Experience
- Interns must be current undergraduate or graduate students. Preference is given to students who are considering careers at educational institutions or non-profits and/or have an interest in alumni relations, STEM education, fundraising, membership, institutional giving, communications, advancement, or audience development.
Society staff are currently operating under a pilot program working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, until Labor Day 2022 with in-person work in the offices required as directed.
Society for Science has mandated the COVID-19 vaccine for employees coming into the office and attending Society events. Exceptions to the vaccine requirement may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and cover letter to be considered for this position.
Please apply through applicant pro https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/societyforscience/jobs/2434252-560507
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Society for Science & the Public is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover every duty, responsibility and activity that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.