About the Society
Society for Science (the Society) is a champion for science, dedicated to expanding scientific literacy, effective STEM education and scientific research. We are a nonprofit 501(c)(3) membership organization focused on promoting the understanding and appreciation of science and the vital role it plays in human advancement: to inform, educate, and inspire.
The Society is well-known for our award-winning magazine, Science News, and our world class science research competitions: Regeneron Science Talent Search, Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) and Broadcom MASTERS.
The Society seeks a Financial Analyst/Grant Accountant, reporting to the Director of Finance. The ideal candidate will analyze past financial performance to predict future performance and advise the company on its financial strategy. This is a non-exempt position.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Work with program managers and accounting staff to accurately record grant revenues and expenses.
- Review grant expenses to ensure allocation to the appropriate general ledger account.
- Record transactions in the general ledger for grant revenues.
- Provide detailed reporting and analysis on program activities.
- Coordinate with accounting staff to prepare and process all grant receipts and invoice funders.
- Perform grant account analysis to ensure proper levels of expenditures.
- Lead annual and long-term budgeting and forecasting process.
- Perform monthly budget variance review.
- Assist program staff in development of grant applications and budgets.
- Prepare financial reports to grant funders.
- Develop indirect rate calculations and proposals.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
Essential skills and capabilities for success:
- Ability to create and sustain effective working relationships with co-workers and vendors.
- Experienced in entry and reporting using a financial ERP system.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to rapidly learn new concepts and apply to daily operational duties.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Candidate will have a bachelor's degree in accounting or Finance.
- Candidate will have 5+ years in related experience in financial analysis and/or accounting.
- Candidate will have financial analysis experience in analyzing variances and budgeting/forecasting.
- 3+ years' experience with not-for-profit accounting.
- 3+ years' experience with federal government and foundation grant management, accounting, and reporting.
- Candidate will have experience with general ledger (preferably with Abila MIP), spreadsheet, word processing and other Microsoft office software.
- Candidate will be detail oriented and able to handle multiple tasks.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting. Our office is located near the Dupont Circle and Farragut North Metro stations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to operate a computer and other office equipment.
Position Type and Expected Hours
This is a full-time, non-exempt position based in Washington, D.C.
Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday during normal business hours of the Society.
Society staff are currently operating under a pilot program working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, until Labor Day 2022 with in-person work in the offices required as directed.
Society for Science has mandated the COVID-19 vaccine for employees. Exceptions to the vaccine requirement may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position please submit a professional resume and cover letter.
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Society for Science & the Public is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover every duty, responsibility and activity that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.