- 20-May-2021 to 31-Oct-2021 (EST)
- Knoxville, TN, USA
- Full Time
S&ME is proud to offer high quality, affordable, comprehensive financial and wellness benefits. The package includes a 401 (k) retirement plan; an employee stock ownership plan (ESOP); medical, dental, life and disability insurance; a full suite of voluntary products; a Flexible Spending Account and an Employee Assistance Program; and paid holiday, vacation and sick time. We also provide employees with an opportunity to further their professional growth through certification training and our Credential Incentive Program.
Position: Group Leader
Requisition Number: 2021-2720-03
S&ME is a leading, employee-owned, multi-disciplined professional services firm that responds to clients with innovative, sustainable solutions. S&ME strives to create an environment where everyone can be their best by providing a supportive atmosphere of entrepreneurial growth, to build growing relationships, and to take on increasingly complex project opportunities. We recruit top talent and are currently seeking a seeking a Group Leader for the Energy and Water Resources Business Unit to be based in Knoxville, Tennessee.
The Knoxville Energy and Water Resources group undertakes a wide range of projects with a particular focus on stream restoration design, flood studies, storm water management, slope stabilization and erosion and sediment controls, and dams. As a group leader, you will manage a team of professionals including engineers and environmental scientists, to complete water resource related projects and ensure that the staff and the team as a whole achieve goals that contribute to the success of the overall business unit. The successful candidate will have strengths in managing multiple projects and an entrepreneurial spirit, with a passion for mentoring and developing junior staff, developing relationships with clients, municipal officials, as well as S&ME staff across multiple business lines. Experience with power companies is a plus.
Principle duties and responsibilities:
- Manage a group of environmental scientists and engineers with a focus on water resource and energy related projects.
- Maintain staff by recruiting, selecting, supervising, training, and mentoring employees in coordination with the area manager and business unit director.
- Demonstrate active leadership in areas such as health and safety, quality, accounting, human resources, risk management, information technology, and others, as applicable.
- Provide effective and efficient use of staff on assigned projects based on billable rates, labor multipliers, and utilization consistent with area profitability goals.
- Implement S&ME's quality program for each project to ensure the appropriate level of technical and quality review is performed.
- Conduct or participate in staff performance reviews, as assigned by the area manager, with input from coworkers, if appropriate, project managers, and others with whom the employee worked during the review period.
- Work cooperatively with other group leaders, project managers, area managers, and others, as needed, to ensure work is conducted by qualified personnel who have sufficient education, qualifications, experience, and training to complete the work in a quality manner.
- Coordinate with the area manager to identify the appropriate resources to complete the work when adequate technical resources are not available within their group.
- Cross-sell and support their group in cross-selling of other S&ME services in support of the overall firm and the client's best interest.
- Maintain a positive image within their local geographic area and specific market sector to help build a positive company brand with name recognition in their field of work.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering or a related field, Master's preferred;
- 8+ years' experience in a related field, including 3+ years in a project management capacity;
- Professional License as a Civil or Environmental Engineer in Tennessee;
- Well organized with the ability to multi-task and prioritize work;
- Strong communication skills including written, oral and listening, and good interpersonal skills, as well as ability to work and interface well in a collaborative and multi-disciplinary project team environment;
- Ability to travel to different project sites and offices within different states when required;
- Experience in recruiting, mentoring, and managing staff;
- Experience and desire for business development activities;
- Ability to interact positively and effectively with people in all levels of organizations.
This is a full-time position with competitive pay based on experience. Successful candidate must meet requirements of the company's Fleet Management Program, Substance Policy and Reference check program. Submit resume, cover letter, and salary expectations for consideration. Only qualified candidates with acceptable employment eligibility verification (I-9) will be considered. Visa assistance not provided. S&ME reserves the right to fill this position with an internal or external candidate at any time during the search. S&ME is not responsible for unauthorized job postings or submissions of resumes using external links/websites.
No candidate/recruiter calls, personal calls or walk-ins accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minorities/Females/Disability/Veterans; VEVRAA Federal Contractor