- Covina, CA, USA
- 85000-105000 per year
- Full Time
Individual Health Reimbursement Account ("ICHRA"), 401k plan Cell Phone/Internet Reimbursement up to $100 per month, Home Office Reimbursements, Professional Development Reimbursement, Generous Family Leave ,Opportunity for Spot and End of Year Bonuses, Unlimited PTO, 12 Organization-wide holidays plus the week of Thanksgiving and the week between Christmas and New Year's Day.
Sister District Action Network
Head of Research
Summary: The Head of Research oversees the day-to-day operations of the Sister District Action Network ("SD")'s Research Program. The Head of Research works closely with the SVP, Strategic Initiatives to define and execute SD research goals and plans. The Head of Research also forges and manages partnerships and relationships with key allies to establish collaborative research projects; presents research and represents SD in the progressive research and practitioner community; provides fundraising and development input; and consults on key areas of Sister District's internal metrics, and reporting and annual program evaluation process. This position reports to the SVP, Strategic Initiatives.
1. Research Program (65%)
- Work with SVP to develop and implement a roadmap for how to position Sister District as a national leader in general state legislative research, and state level messaging research
- Work with SVP to develop, initiate and implement new and existing aspects of SD's research program. Current and planned components include:
- Secondary Data Analysis: Help to identify and investigate novel areas of research that address critical questions in the context of states and state legislatures.
- Survey and Baseline Research: internally and in partnership, build knowledge about public perceptions of states, state legislatures and policies.
- Messaging Research: internally and in partnership, develop knowledge about messaging resonance in the areas of state policy, state leaders, and state legislative issues, and measure ongoing effectiveness.
- Maintain research agenda and update quarterly; maintain all relevant datasets, plans and protocols
- Develop, initiate and implement projects in the general areas above undertaken in collaboration with academic and progressive industry partners and allies
- Generally track research trends and findings in major organizational areas, including broader electoral trends related to state legislative elections, representation and policy, and messaging guidance at the state and local levels.
- Oversee external research contractors and vendors, and internal staff resources involved in research, including management of message and creative development, testing, deployment and measurement.
2. Partnerships and Ecosystem Intelligence (20%)
- Work with SVP to develop and implement a roadmap for how collaboration will enable Sister District to be a national leader in state legislative research and messaging.
- Build and maintain relationships with existing and potential partners in the progressive political ecosystem who can be research collaborators.
- Present research and represent SD at tables, conferences, and other progressive ecosystem convenings
3. Development Assistance and Input (5%)
- Work with the Executive Director, SVP of Strategic Initiatives, and Director of Development to prepare grant applications and materials for funders, including:
- Maintain public-facing research documents for use in fundraising
- Assist in grant applications and status reports related to research
4. General Activities (10%)
- Serve as an internal and external expert in state legislative-related research and SD's research program, including past research projects and results
- Consult with the Operations Department on key areas of Sister District's internal metrics and reporting, including political program outcomes and longitudinal organizational data
- Consult on annual program evaluation and impact report processes
- Work with SVP to analyze and publish results from a small number of voter turnout RCTs run in 2022 upon release of the voter file
- Perform other duties as requested by SVP, Strategic Initiatives
- Provide assistance for the annual district targeting process
- 5+ years of full-time work experience in political research, including:
- Experience developing and implementing a multi-modal research agenda
- Experience conducting and analyzing surveys, RCTs, and message testing
- Experience hiring and managing external vendors
- Experience with digital media placement and voter targeting
- Masters or higher in a related field with significant experience in statistical analysis
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented, and as comfortable with big-picture strategic thinking, as well as goal-setting, data tracking, reporting, and analysis
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills, especially in light of new or ambiguous situations
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication, as well as exceptional customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to successfully prioritize and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment and across multiple departments
- Ability to parse and understand research and public opinion data with a critical lens and in a pragmatic, real-world and actionable way
- Proactive and entrepreneurial self-starter who is able to anticipate and address problems before they arise, and suggest process improvements
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a remote setting
- Proficiency with Google Suite
- Expertise in statistical software packages including STATA
- Working knowledge of SQL, Python, R, or other language efficient for analyzing large datasets
- Multicultural competence; i.e., the awareness, knowledge and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant and productive ways
- Commitment to strengthening our democracy by building power in state legislatures
Bonus Points for:
- Experience with state legislative politics, policies and leaders
- Experience working with/at think tanks or in academic settings
- Existing relationships with progressive political and civic engagement organizations, lawmakers and leaders
We are looking to fill this position immediately.
Position and Pay
This is a full-time, remote position that can be fulfilled from anywhere in the United States. Pay will commensurate with experience, in the range of $85,000 - $105,000 per year.
Generous Benefits Package Includes:
- Individual Health Reimbursement Account ("ICHRA")
- 401k plan
- Cell Phone/Internet Reimbursement up to $100 per month
- Home Office Reimbursement
- Professional Development Reimbursement
- Generous Family Leave
- Opportunity for Spot and End of Year Bonuses
- Flexible PTO
- 12 Organization-wide holidays plus the week of Thanksgiving and the week between Christmas and New Years Day.
Since launching in the wake of the 2016 elections, Sister District has grown to nearly 70,000 volunteers across the country. We have endorsed candidates in 167 races across 18 states, 107 of whom won and have gone on to fight for progressive issues in their state legislatures. We have raised more than $5.3 million in small-dollar donations directly for our candidates and State bridges organizations. Our organizing efforts have reached out to more than 4.1 million voters through phones, texts, postcards, and door knocks. We also partner deeply with our campaigns to provide professional training, advice, and guidance to help candidates and staff build winning campaigns.
Sister District not only helps to win urgent elections each year, but also builds Democratic infrastructure for the long term. We do this by training newly elected legislators and former candidates, conducting academic-quality civic engagement research, supporting community-based organizations, and more.
We are open to volunteers and candidates of all genders, and we are proud to be an organization founded and led by women, including women of color.