- Covina, CA, USA
- 20 per hour
Sister District Phonebank Training Fellowship
Applications due by April 1, 2023 for priority consideration. Interviews will be conducted in mid April. 14-week term begins May 15th and ends August 18th.
About the Phonebank Training Fellowship Role:
At 6 hours per week over 14 weeks, Phonebank Training Fellows will assist staff and volunteer phonebank leaders on two virtual phonebanks each week for Sister District's endorsed state legislative candidates. This program is designed to train and prepare aspiring organizers for staff and volunteer roles on campaigns and electoral-focused field programs. Through trainings, weekly cohort calls, and valuable hands-on experience, Fellows will learn how to be a great phonebank trainer, how to run an excellent phonebank program, and will help elect Democratic candidates in 2023. The specific work schedule is flexible. Pay is $20/hr for a total $1,680 stipend.
Fellows who successfully complete the program may be offered the opportunity to stay through the remainder of the election as a GOTV fellow, and may be given the opportunity to host their own Sister District Phonebank when ready.
In collaboration with Organizing Department staff, Fellows will:
- Attend 60-minute orientation & training calls to learn field-proven best practices of the Sister District phonebanking model
- Attend a 45-minute weekly Phonebank Fellow cohort call with Sister District staff focused on continuous training and improvement
- Attend a 15 minute one-on-one to track progress and development with Organizing Dept staff every other week
- Co-host two recurring two-hour virtual phonebanks each week, providing support for the phonebank leader, training and engaging new phonebankers, calling voters, and helping with tech support as needed
- When ready, Fellow may host their assigned phonebank as the primary leader
- Track phonebank attendees, follow up and thank volunteers for their participation
- Follow up with volunteer sign ups who did not attend the phonebank to invite them to the next phonebank
- Recruit new phonebankers
TIME COMMITMENT & LOGISTICS
- Work remotely
- 6 hours per week
- One weekly 45-minute cohort call with program coordinator, scheduled during cohort's stated availability
- Two weekly 2 hour phonebanks assigned based on stated availability (4hrs total/ week)
- 1 hour of community building and volunteer outreach per week, flexible schedule
- One 15 min one-on-one with Organizing Dept staff, flexible
- Must have reliable, stable internet connection for Zoom + phonebank web interface
- Use personal computer and phone for calls and texts
- We use the Google Suite to track our work and Slack and Zoom to communicate
- Start: week of May 15th, 2023
- End: August 18, 2023
- $1,680 stipend ($840 at 7 weeks, $840 at end of program)
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
This fellowship is focused on training aspiring organizers in voter contact and volunteer capacity-building through personal connection and conversation. If you are interested in learning more about campaigns or looking to further or develop your organizing skills, please apply! We're looking for applicants with:
- Strong passion for electing Democrats to state legislatures
- Energetic about engaging, appreciating, and building relationships with volunteers
- Good communication skills, including ability to present a training articulately and accurately in front of an audience
- Ability to troubleshoot basic phonebank tech issues
- Patient and detail-oriented approach, particularly in working with others of all ages and abilities
- Desire to communicate effectively with voters over the phone
- Campaign experience not required
HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your resume as PDF. You do not need to manually add resume information.
Applications are due by April 1st, 2023.
ABOUT SISTER DISTRICT
Sister District's 70+ volunteer teams provide grassroots (usually remote) field and fundraising support to progressive state legislative candidates to build Democratic majorities at the state level. We continue to build robust and effective teams to maximally help elect candidates in 2023. Fellows have a significant role to play.
For other opportunities for groups and individuals, check out Sister District Affiliates, Student Opportunities, and our State Bridges program.
For non-partisan research-based opportunities, please check out the Sister District Action Network led by Dr. Mallory Roman!
Sister District values a multicultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.