Job Title: Cook Date of Employment:
Supervised by: Dining Services Director Approval Signature:
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Full-time
Education/Training: A high school diploma/GED.
Experience: Need experience in operating a commercial kitchen. Nursing home, hospital or assisted living experience preferred.
Position Summary: Requires an understanding of the functions of a commercial kitchen and the impact on resident care and satisfaction. Must have the ability to organize and execute appealing meals of consistent quality in a timely manner. Must be able to read and follow recipes. Requires the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions. Must handle standardized situations and incorporate moderate variables.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviews the day's menus and assembles food, supplies and equipment for daily food preparation according to productions sheets.
- Assure that all necessary items are on site for the following day's menu and all frozen items pulled and thawed according to assisted living regulations.
- Prepares meals for regular and therapeutic diet according to planned menus.
- Assists in serving meals. Serves food according to portion control.
- Maintains assigned department areas in a clean, neat and sanitary manner as well as a clean-as-you-go principle.
- Keeps dry storage and all refrigerator/freezers in an organized manner.
- Assists in checking in and storing incoming food and supplies.
- Checks special diet trays to ensure that they are accurate.
- Reports equipment needs and supplies to Supervisor.
- Assists with planning and preparation of special meals, parties and banquets.
- Responsible for Dietary Department function and personnel in the absence of the Food Service Supervisor.
- All other duties as assigned by supervisor
Clinical/Technical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follows established policies and procedures for department.
- Assists in maintaining a safe and sanitary dietary department.
Resident Service and Satisfaction:
- Fully understand all aspects of residents' rights; maintain the comfort, privacy and dignity of each resident in the delivery of services to them. Interact in a manner that promotes the emotional well-being of the resident.
- Respond to patients and family member's concerns with empathy and communicate with them in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Assists in follow up of any resident special requests or complaints.
- Maintains a professional demeanor and appearance in conformity with dress code standards.
- Attend in-service training.
- Maintains a good attendance record.
Physical Work Environment: Must be able to lift or carry up to 50 pounds occasionally and to exert 20 pounds of force frequently. Physical activity involves sitting, walking, standing, carrying, bending, lifting, crouching, reaching, pushing, pulling, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing and repetitive motions.
Receipt and Acknowledgement:
I acknowledge and understand that:
- Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind, and that my employment is at-will.
- The job description provides a general summary of the position in which I am employed, that the contents of this job description are job requirements, and, at this time, I know of no limitations which would prevent me from performing these functions with or without accommodation. I further understand that it is my responsibility to inform my supervisor at any time that I am unable to perform these functions.
- Job duties, tasks, work hours and work requirements may be change at any time.
- Acceptable job performance includes completion of the job responsibilities as well as compliance with the policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- I have read and understand this job description.
Print Employee Name: __________________________________________________________________
Employee Signature: ___________________________________________________________________