- Louisville, KY, USA
- Full Time
- Ability to obtain clearance
SGI Global is seeking a Legal Assistant I to support the United States Attorney's Office (USAO) - Western District of Kentucky in support of the Criminal and Civil Division located in Louisville, Kentucky.
*Position is contingent upon award*
- Review of case files to determine status. The review will include the use of various databases, both internal and external to the USAO, i.e., LIONS/CaseView, Pacer, CourtLinks, etc. The review will determine if all actions such as: charges disposed, sentencing, appeals, motions to reduce sentencing and/or asset forfeiture have been resolved and closed.
- Upon verification and confirmation that all actions are closed, searches for and gathers all paper files to include any related civil matters, i.e., 2255 motions. Once it has been determined that all files have been located, reviews the paper documents and compares to established district checklists, with regards to which type of documents must be retained within the paper file and which documents can and should be destroyed.
- Arranges remaining documents to be retained in a case file folder to include required GCO-1/3 forms. Ensures documents that contain sensitive or confidential information are placed in appropriate envelopes to ensure the safeguarding of such documents.
- Locates and reviews all portions of the electronic case and compares to the established district checklists with regards to which type of documents must be retained and which can and should be deleted. Each assigned AUSA and support staff will need to confirm if any such electronic file exists.
- Completes a Notice to Close Legal File for the signature of the assigned AUSA. Once AUSA signature has been added, adds an entry in CaseView indicating file(s) have been filed in the records room with other closed files. For case files where the AUSA is no longer employed in the office, seeks assistance as needed and obtains signatures of Division Chief/Deputy Chief on closeout documents.
- Maintains lists, as needed to track status to allow for location and easy retrieval, if needed. Assists the division records custodians with filing, and general clean-up, when needed. Also assists in the inventorying and packing of records for transfer to the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) on an annual basis.
- Serves as backup to reception on as needed basis. Duties to include greeting visitors, answers phones, directing calls to appropriate division.
- High school diploma/GED or higher. College preferred
- Three (3) years of related legal experience preferred but not required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software programs (i.e., Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Works and interacts professionally and effectively with all levels of staff
- Meeting and dealing with people in a courteous and tactful manner
- Organizational skills
- Valid U.S. driver's license
- Must be able to pass (obtain) a favorable security clearance.
SGI Global provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.