- 15-Jun-2021 to 20-Oct-2021 (EST)
- Port Huron, MI, USA
- $70,767 to $97,305
- Full Time
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, FSA, 401(k), PTO, Wellness, Educ. Assistance
The Senior Financial Accountant will be responsible for a variety of tasks, most specifically the compilation of information required to prepare the monthly gas cost accounting, recording the related entries and performing the associated account reconciliations all while adhering to the Company's policies and procedures and internal controls. This position would also be expected to provide support to the regulatory department as it relates to cost of gas filings with the Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC). The ideal candidate will be developed to be the company expert in the application of the Uniform System of Accounts for a gas utility as proscribed by the MPSC. This role will be also expected to work with both internal and external auditors as it relates to this position. This person may also be required to perform various other accounting tasks and analytical procedures and will be expected to partnering frequently with personnel at all levels within the accounting function and throughout the Company.
- Compile, prepare and record the monthly gas cost estimate as well as true-up the prior month's estimate.
- Prepare all account reconciliations related to gas accounting on a monthly basis.
- Prepare and record other journal entries as assigned and related account reconciliations.
- Become company expert in the application of the Uniform System of Accounts for a gas utility, which includes analyzing transactions and providing recommendations for accounting.
- Provide support to regulatory department in various cases filed with the Michigan Public Service Commission.
- Prepare analytical reviews as requested.
- Research and provide financial analysis on new accounting pronouncements.
- Provide both internal and external audit support.
- Adhere to and update, as needed, the established policies and procedures to ensure SOX compliance.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge in order to uphold responsibilities as an accounting subject matter expert.
- Make regular reports to the Controller.
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting. Certified Public Accounting (CPA) certification or advanced degree preferred.
- Solid understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. An understanding of the Uniform Systems of Accounts would be a benefit.
- Seven to ten years of accounting experience, with a track record of being able to handle complex accounting transactions. Utility experience a plus.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to identify variances and/or anomalies and research and formulate conclusions.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, along with excellent organization and planning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and assignments at the same time.
- Ability to research problems independently and propose business solutions.
- Ability to cultivate strong working relationships with personnel from various areas of responsibility within the organization.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office products. Knowledge of JD Edwards and/or Unicom a plus.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!