- 15-Jun-2021 to 20-Oct-2021 (EST)
- Port Huron, MI, USA
- $71,691 to $98,575
- Full Time
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, FSA, 401(k), PTO, Wellness, Educ. Assistance
The Accounting Specialist role will be the accounting team's subject matter expert on the Company's financial systems, primarily JDEdwards and Unicom. This individual will be will expected to perform a variety of tasks surrounding routine and recurring system set-up and maintenance as well as helping fellow accounting team members understand the systems, build reports and complete data requests. The Accounting Specialist, as the SME, will be the lead core team member in the accounting team and coordinate other teammates' responsibilities as they relate to system projects and upgrades. Additionally, this role will be also expected to work with both internal and external auditors on various internal control compliance items and data requests. This person may also be required to perform various other tasks and analytical procedures and will be expected to partner frequently with personnel at all levels within the accounting function and throughout the Company.
- Become accounting subject matter expert for financial systems (primarily JDEdwards and Unicom) which includes assisting both fellow accounting personnel and other departments that rely on the financial systems (purchasing, inventory, and preventative maintenance, etc.) with system understanding, system set-up, and routine system maintenance assigned to accounting such as chart of account maintenance and periodic processing.
- Act as the accounting lead for the financial systems core team which will require coordination of activities of the accounting team as well as interfacing with the digital team members for system upgrades.
- Represent accounting's interest on cross functional digital initiatives.
- Assist with defining custom reports and extractions of data for various data request.
- Audit support for both internal audit requests, including general computer controls, and external audit support.
- Analyze current processes to seek process improvements that can be achieved with existing systems.
- Ensure data integrity within and between systems on a regular basis.
- Prepare analytical reviews as requested.
- Adhere to and update, as needed, the established policies and procedures to ensure SOX compliance.
- Make regular reports to the Controller.
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting with an emphasis in Information Technology Systems or Computer Science or closely related field with 5 years of related experience.
- Experience with enterprise resource planning software. JDEdwards experience would be a benefit.
- General understanding of computer programming language and databases.
- Understanding of general accounting processes or willingness to learn processes.
- Experience dealing with auditors and an understanding of internal controls purpose and function.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to identify variances and/or anomalies and research and formulate conclusions.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, along with excellent organization and planning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and assignments at the same time.
- Ability to research problems independently and propose business solutions.
- Ability to cultivate strong working relationships with personnel from various areas of responsibility within the organization.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office products. Knowledge of JD Edwards and/or Unicom a plus.
SEMCO ENERGY provides an equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, ethnic/national origin, age, disability, veteran status or other bases protected by applicable law. Employment decisions at SEMCO ENERGY will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!