- Crewe, VA, USA
- Full Time
Health, Dental, Vision, HSA, HRA, Life, LTD, Vacation, Sick Leave, 401k, Pension, Tuition Reimbursement, Fitness Reimbursement, LifeLock, Linked In Learning
Southside Electric Cooperative is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic Director of Operations in the power distribution field to lead our District Operations teams across central and southside, Virginia.
The Director of Operations is a key member of the Operations team and is responsible for many operations functions within the Cooperative. The Director of Operations is responsible for district construction activities, system restoration, and overall effectiveness of the district operations. These activities include operation, maintenance, repair, and construction of the Cooperative's distribution system. The position is also responsible to support all transmission line maintenance, transmission delivery point operation and maintenance, downline protective apparatus operation and maintenance, and voltage control apparatus operation and maintenance. Of key importance is the overall reliability of the Cooperative's distribution system, including substations, transmission lines, distribution lines, and protective apparatus. The position provides supervisory support for the Cooperative's Operations Center during restoration activities. The Director of Operations must work closely with the Director of Technical Services to ensure all strategic projects are carried out in harmony.
You aren't afraid to offer an alternative point of view or challenge the status quo, but you are committed to showing unity and support for final decisions by the senior leadership team. As a coach, you know the career goals of your team and excel at finding ways to motivate and train them to meet the responsibilities and requirements of their position as well as their personal goals for improvement. As an advocate, you know that engaged employees best reflect the mission of the Cooperative to provide safe, reliable electricity at the highest value to our member-owners. You seek to refine existing work procedures and develop new techniques, concepts, or programs within established policies.
As Director of Operations, you excel at leadership, building consensus, and fostering teamwork among diverse populations, including colleagues, subordinates, industry peers, our member/owners, and the public. You have extensive knowledge of how to develop and maintain a comprehensive operations initiative within the Cooperative environment.
What will you do if hired?
- Establish annual objectives for direct reports, conduct ongoing progress meetings and performance appraisals per policy guidelines.
- Work with human resources on issues related to the Operations department, including recruitment, selection, interviews, employee discipline, and terminations.
- Ensure ongoing communications with the Vice President of Engineering & Operations and senior management team to ensure that they are informed of all relevant activities, events, and issues.
- Maintain current knowledge of operations requirements, regulations, and reporting requirements as requested by Rural Utilities Service (RUS) and other regulatory agencies.
- Serve, as appointed, on internal or external special committees, task forces, and panels. Work as a member of a team or in a leadership role on special projects, initiatives, and committees.
- Develop annual operations budget in accordance with all policies, objectives, plans, and accounting practices.
- Offer input on and provide vehicle and equipment specifications as needed.
- Work directly with the System Operations Center to direct disaster recovery and emergency planning to ensure the integrity of service to Cooperative members.
- Partner with the Engineering department, engineering consultant firms, and other areas in support of the Cooperative's Construction Work Plan.
- Manage the review and study of all technological issues and industry developments related to operational efficiencies.
The above responsibilities are not all-inclusive for the responsibilities of the position.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor's degree in management, engineering or business preferred.
- Master's degree in management, engineering, or business preferred.
- Five years' electrical line experience, or commercial project design, construction or management experience in a related field is required
- Three years' supervisory experience required.
- Three years' utility experience preferred.
- Must travel to various locations throughout the Cooperative's service area/system to complete many work assignments.
- Must be able to perform hard physical labor whenever necessary.
- Must participate in the Staff duty roster and support the Operations Center.
The Director of Operations is required to reside within 45 minutes legal driving time to our Headquarters Office in Crewe, VA. This position requires frequent travel to various locations throughout the Cooperative's service area/system in central and southwest Virginia to complete work assignments.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
WE ARE PROUD TO BE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
with our quick 3 minute Application!
Sign Up For Job Alerts!