Department: Laboratory Surveillance and Data Management
Job ID: 21-0317
Closing Date: June 18, 2021
To provide professional epidemiologic services to areas including infection prevention and control, communicable disease prevention and control, chronic disease and injury prevention, environmental and occupational health, emergency preparedness and public health laboratory services in alignment with the strategic priorities of Public Health Ontario.
- Designs and coordinates population health assessment and/or surveillance data-extraction processes to provide timely information to PHO and its key stakeholders, either as part of regular reporting activities, or on an as-needed basis for special purposes.
- Prepares current data to enable and support decision-making processes for PHO and its stakeholders; responds to requests from stakeholders.
- Provides expertise to support the programs and services, epidemiologic research, population health assessment and surveillance activities of PHO geared at generating scientific and technical knowledge for evidence based communication, decision making, planning and implementation of public health policies and programs.
- Identifies appropriate data sources and monitors current local, provincial, national and international trends in epidemiologic activity and reports in a timely manner.
- Designs and conducts complex data retrievals to meet health information requirements from key stakeholders, reporting obligations (e.g. to PHAC, MOHLTC) and to support the conduct of epidemiologic research and routine operations.
- Provides subject-matter expertise and resource support to PHO colleagues.
- Liaises as necessary with stakeholders and resources in various health sector, research and regulatory institutions, and builds strong working relationships between these and PHO.
- Presents findings, initiatives and relevant PHO activities at local, regional, national and international forums as appropriate.
- Liaises with government, public health, research and academic institutions to contribute to, and keep appraised of best practices in surveillance methodology, information and reporting tools.
- Prepares scientific and technical publications to communicate trends, investigative findings and research initiatives to internal audience and the broader public health community as appropriate.
Knowledge and Skills-
- Knowledge of and skills in disease surveillance, research, statistics, disease control and public health and working with infectious and non-infectious diseases data sources, running surveillance systems, procuring data, preparing reports and editing reports with scientific rigour.
- Experience informing public health policy and practice, having contributed to the introduction and implementation of new initiatives.
- Knowledge of, and skills in methods used routinely for analyzing data including sample size calculations, comparison of categorical and continuous data, stratification and pooling of odds ratios, multivariate analysis.
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant regulations and regulatory trends in epidemiology, public health and surveillance.
- Knowledge of microbiology laboratory operations and surveillance.
- Knowledge of PHO's mandate, relevant legislation such as the HPPA and PHIPPA and the Ontario Public Health Standards.
- Skills in managing large databases and personal health information and analyzing these data using statistical software packages.
- Organizational and project management skills to prioritize effectively and meet competing deadlines
- Skills in organizing a research study from conception, through design to reporting.
- Ability to critically evaluate and synthesize relevant sources of information.
Education and Experience-
- Master degree in epidemiology, community health or related field.
- Minimum 2-4 years of experience as an epidemiologist in a public health or related setting.
Attributes and Competencies-
- Communications and interpersonal skills to work with a diverse stakeholder group, building public health, research, academic, institutional, government, and professional networks.
- Oral communication skills to discuss detailed data needs in response to enquiries regarding health data and related information systems from management and staff across the PHO.
- Writing and editing skills to prepare and review PHO reports, briefing notes, letters, manuscripts, and position papers.
- Presentation skills to communicate complex data and principles to a variety of stakeholders at varying literacy.
- Oral communication and interpersonal skills to liaise and communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders, establish and maintain good working relationships.
- Written communication skills to prepare written reports and to display statistical data in understandable formats.
- Communication and interpersonal skills to enable effective information presentation and deployment into teams of multi-disciplinary professionals.
with our quick 3 minute Application!
Sign Up For Job Alerts!