Title: Medical Laboratory Technologist 1
Department: Kingston PHOL
Job ID: 20-0154 - #LI-SH1
Posting Date: November 18,2020
Posting Date: December 2, 2020
To perform testing and provide accurate and timely reporting of clinical and environmental laboratory tests as part of a team of laboratory professionals, within quality policies and technical procedures.
- Conducts standardized medical/clinical tests and procedures for the isolation, quantification, identification, molecular testing and antimicrobial susceptibility testing of clinically significant bacteria, fungi, parasites, viruses and associated antibodies.
- Reports and relays results to health care providers within acceptable turnaround time (TAT) as published by PHOL.
- Authorizes the release of laboratory test results and discusses test results with clients within the restriction of College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO) regulations.
- Maintains privacy and confidentiality as outlined by PHO corporate policies.
- Carries out established quality assurance and control procedures including proficiency testing to ensure quality outcomes.
- Performs review of daily QC materials and take appropriate actions to resolve any discrepancies in QC material that falls outside the acceptable ranges.
- Maintains and monitors equipment and supplies to ensure operability.
- Provides direction and guidance to Laboratory Attendants responsible for supporting MLTs and senior staff and assists with training new staff.
- Provides technical assistance to Senior Technologists and Operational Lead in carrying out testing and/or special projects.
- Performs activities to support the laboratory's Quality management Program and Ontario Laboratory Accreditation requirements.
- Performs other duties or projects as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills-
- Knowledge of and the ability to perform medical and/or environmental laboratory techniques/ procedures, laboratory safety practices and utilize medical laboratory equipment in the conduct of standardized medical/clinical tests and procedures.
- Knowledge of computer applications to utilize standard and laboratory information systems.
- Knowledge of Ontario Laboratory Accreditation requirements to ensure compliance in the conduct of laboratory testing.
- Knowledge of PHO policies and protocols and PHOL code of conduct to ensure confidentiality in the release of test results and discussions with clients.
- Interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with colleagues.
- Written communication skills to write standard operating procedures, complete records.
Education and Experience-
- Certification in good standing with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO).
Attributes and Competencies-
- Oral communication and interpersonal skills to liaise with laboratory staff and with health care providers to relay laboratory test results.
- Ability to work independently to solve complex problems, working collaboratively to seek advice and direction in solving problems beyond their scope of practice.
with our quick 3 minute Application!
Sign Up For Job Alerts!