Title: Laboratory Attendant 2
Department: Toronto PHOL
Job ID: 20-0152 - #LI-SH1
Posting Date: November 18, 2020
Closing Date: December 2, 2020
- Logs, sorts, labels all specimens submitted for laboratory testing/examination.
- Transports samples to testing laboratory as required.
- Handles, prepares and processes medical samples (e.g. culture media and reagents) for identification of micro-organisms, reagents and solutions and testing up to the point of result interpretation (e.g. set up of cultures, staining, extraction, loading analyzers).
- Handles, prepares processes and results water samples.
- Uses automated equipment or manual methods to prepare and aliquot human samples for testing.
- Uses PHO Laboratory Information System to prepare worksheets or enter data, ensuring accuracy and confidentiality of data.
- Prepares, loads and unloads laboratory analyzers.
- Performs inventory management functions including ordering, unpacking and storing of laboratory goods.
- Files, stores, discards laboratory samples.
- Cleans and maintains laboratory equipment, cleans and disinfects laboratory work areas.
- Maintains laboratory stock supplies.
- Assists with set-up of quality control and maintenance of stock cultures.
- Answers telephone and resolves problems related to samples (e.g., incomplete information, mismatched tests and information, leaking samples).
- Performs other duties or projects as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills-
- Knowledge of medical terminology and laboratory safety procedures to provide a range of laboratory services in support of operations.
- Knowledge of computer systems, familiarity with laboratory information systems, MS office products such as Word and Excel.
- Proficient computer skills necessary to work with automated, computer driven equipment.
Education and Experience-
- Certification as a Medical Laboratory Technician from a recognized community college program or relevant training and experience.
Attributes and Competencies-
- Oral communication skills to exchange information and clarify test requests or discrepancies with other team members as well as with external clients (i.e., physicians).
- Written communication skills to record information into logs/records.
with our quick 3 minute Application!
Sign Up For Job Alerts!