- Ewing Township, NJ, USA
We are excited that you have decided to apply to be a Resident Assistant (RA). It is a unique opportunity to work with diverse groups of students and be actively involved on The College of New Jersey campus. Working in this community offers you the special chance to make an enormous and positive impact on the success of your fellow students!
Deadline: Summer Resident Assistant Applications is a rolling process; the applications will be reviewed until the positions are filled.
Review Carefully: All applications submitted before positions are filled will be guaranteed a review.
Please note: Important Detail about the start of RA Training and when RA Move Out takes place:
- RA Move-in: Sunday, May 21, 2023, and RA Move-Out: Thursday, August 17, 2023.
Your online completed application should contain:
- Work history and references.
- Be sure to upload your resume, also upload your Short Essay to the Resume section.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. We are located in Building 600 - Suite 300 (behind Mexican Mariachi). You may also call or email us: 609-273-7925 or Annabelle Madamba at email@example.com
Thank you for your interest and good luck!
A Resident Assistant is responsible for positively fostering a high-quality living and learning experience for residents. The Resident Assistant will complement a student's academic goals and personal growth by serving as a positive role model and resource.
RESPONSIBILITIES & EXPECTATIONS
- Identify your residents and know where they live within the first three weeks of the semester.
- Notify supervisor of roommate conflicts immediately and assist with roommate mediations/contracts.
- Be available to residents and maintain a high level of visibility in the buildings.
- Encourage residents to take responsibility for incidents and events in the community.
- Maintain a positive floor community through open communication and programming.
- Identify and offer assistance to residents and colleagues on personal, academic, wellness, or other special issues.
- Respond and report behavior that is inappropriate, discriminatory and/or harassing in nature (racial, ethnic, religious, ability, gender, and/or sexual identity).
Safety and Security
- Be familiar with Campus Town's Lease Requirements, The College of New Jersey guidelines and policies, and the Resident Assistant Manual.
- Interpret and enforce Campus Town regulations and policies.
- Learn and implement building-wide emergency response procedures.
- Invite and include TCNJ Campus Police officers in programming.
- Complete and submit Incident Reports immediately following an incident.
- Respond to situations needing attention.
- Observe residents who identify emotional, relationship, psychological, academic, or social problems. Intervene appropriately or report, as needed.
- Coordinate and assist with coordination of at least two (2) Campus Town Community Programs.
- Assist with room condition assessments prior to summer move-ins.
- Encourage residents to complete Room Condition Reports following Check-In.
- Assist with the opening and closing of the buildings.
- Conduct health, safety, and maintenance inspections as scheduled and follow-up accordingly.
- Report maintenance concerns for your floor and the buildings.
- Participate in training and administrative tasks which occur prior to classes beginning and after classes end.
- Maintain confidentiality. Informing your supervisor is not a breach of confidentiality and RAs are expected to keep their supervisors apprised of any potential problem.
- Compromising confidentiality could result in the immediate termination of employment.
- Perform administrative duties in a thorough and timely manner, including, but not limited to incident reports, occupancy reports, damage billing, surveys, and reporting of maintenance issues.
- Participate in RA selection, training, Open House, Homecoming, and other events as assigned.
- Attend all in-services, meetings, and events as assigned. This will generally include bi-weekly meetings with the supervisor and weekly staff meetings.
- Use Facebook and other online community groups in a befitting way to be a positive role model and a student leader. Inappropriate comments, photos, or posting could result in termination of Resident Assistant position.
- Consult with supervisor prior to discussing community-related issues with the press (TCNJ, local or national).
Staff coverage/duty will be required during academic calendar break periods (including holidays and extended time). One RA on duty Sunday-Thursday; One RA on duty Friday and Saturday (subject to change).
- Participate in on-call duty rotation (requires walking through all buildings) doing rounds. between 7:00 pm-1:00 am.
- Use duty cell phones in a professional manner and for business purposes only.
- Pick-up and return duty equipment at assigned times.
- Provide additional office hour coverage between 9 am-5 pm: About 5 hours per week per RA.
- Be present for desk hours from 5-7 pm on-call nights. (subject to change based on summer needs).
- Provide coverage in the office for package pickups on Saturday from 12-2 pm. Sunday TBD.
Requirements for employment
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 prior to and during RA term- RAs will provide unofficial transcript copies to their supervisor at the beginning of each semester.
- Maintain full-time enrollment and "good standing" with the college.
- May not hold additional employment exceeding 20 hours per week and must have supervisor approval. Supplemental employment must work around RA obligations.
- **RA Office Hours and On-Call Shifts are 1st priority after scheduled classes. Maintain less than 18 credit hours (12 hours for grads) unless prior approval has been granted by the supervisor.
- Sophomore class standing prior to commencement of RA term.
- Must have completed 1 academic year at The College of New Jersey prior to commencement of employment
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Continuously build a knowledge base and enhance skills.
- Respond promptly to resident's needs, requests for service, and assistance.
- Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Show respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; promote a harassment-free environment.
- Treat residents and colleagues with respect; work with integrity; uphold organizational values.
- Prioritize and plan work activities; use time efficiently and complete tasks on time.
- Manage competing demands and priorities, deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Be available and on time when required.
- Follow instructions, respond to management direction; ability to commit to additional work hours as needed.
- Volunteer readily; ask for and offer help when needed.
- Resident Assistants are expected to have a regular presence in their building weekdays/weekends, any time away for more than 24 hours should be coordinated in advance with supervisor.
- RA Move-In: May 2023 and RA Move Out: August 2023.
- Bedroom in 4 Bedroom Apartment - $3,480.00 - Summer Rates
- Any job offer is conditional upon passing a drug test & a satisfactory background check.
- Your apartment/room assignment is based on your employment as a Resident Assistant in good standing. If you are terminated or resign from the RA position, you will no longer be able to reside in the RA apartment. You will need to select alternate housing.