Prairie AquaTech in Brookings, SD is seeking a part-time Feed Manufacturing Technician in a growing, fast-paced, product development-focused environment. Prairie AquaTech is an animal health and nutrition company focused on upgrading plant-based meals via fermentation into a high-quality protein for use in food animal diets. This position will play a vital role within the company; responsible for the manufacture of commercial and research aquafeeds. This will be the perfect job for anyone interested in aquaculture/fisheries, nutrition, and/or extrusion feed manufacturing. Applicants must be comfortable working with feed extrusion equipment and able to confidently troubleshoot as required. The Feed Manufacturing Technician will ensure equipment runs smoothly and efficiently on a daily basis while manufacturing feeds for trout, salmon, shrimp, and a variety of other aquatic and terrestrial animals.
We are looking for an applicant who can start working part-time (15-20 hours/week) immediately while classes are still in session with the opportunity to work 40-hour weeks this summer. Work scheduling is flexible and can accommodate any class schedule. Applicants may have the opportunity to be hired on full-time after graduation.
For more information on Prairie AquaTech please visit https://www.prairieaquatech.com/
- Full responsibility for machine operations including reading and analyzing feed production orders
- Tasks include weighing and mixing feed ingredients, feed extrusion, grinding, sieving, oil coating feeds, and maintaining a clean work area
- Inspecting final feeds, and making modifications, to ensure our high standards of quality
- Maintain clear and accurate feed production records
- Accurately count and report inventory of raw materials and finished goods
- Assist with new product development including research and development projects
- Safely operate fork lift
- Consistently maintain speed and quality within operating guidelines
- Adhere to established company safety protocols
- Effectively communicate and interact with others across multiple departments
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED) required
- Must be detailed oriented and have excellent troubleshooting skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to use a variety of hand and power tools
- Must be able to work as a member of a team
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
This position includes responsibilities in a feed manufacturing and production environment. Employees will work near moving mechanical parts and work directly with steam and chemical solutions. Employees are required to wear head protection, eye protection, and steel-toed footwear in the feed mill, and may experience loud environments requiring hearing protection. Employees may experience hot, cold, humid, odorous, and wet conditions. Employees must be able to lift 55 pounds safely without assistance.