- 09-Jul-2019 to Until Filled (EST)
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- 18.50 per hour
- Part Time
Position: Student Zone Helper
Job Type: Seasonal Part-time (August - June)
Location: Los Angeles
PowerMyLearning is a nonprofit that advances educational equity and accelerates student success. Our programs promote culturally relevant teaching practices, foster social-emotional learning, and accelerate learning. We offer school- and district-level packages that include professional development for teachers and capacity-building workshops for families. We also offer an award-winning education technology innovation, Family Playlists®. What sets us apart from other organizations is our focus on activating the power of collaboration between students, teachers, and families. Now more than ever, our collective efforts to accelerate learning must address the needs of the whole child and include families so we can reverse the systematic denial of educational opportunity based on race, class, language, and learning differences.
The Student Zone Helper assists students in-person in completing their own school assignments by utilizing a variety of resources in the Los Angeles Public Library's Student Zones, including digital resources. The Student Zone Helper will be assigned to a Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL) branch (one of the libraries listed below) for a schedule that is Monday - Thursday, for a 3 hour shift anywhere from 2:30 - 7:00pm. Student Zone Helpers are expected to work 12 hours a week. Specific weekly schedule is based on library branch needs.
Current Branches with openings are:
Ascot- 120 W Florence Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90003
Alma Reaves Woods-Watts- 10205 Compton Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90002
Palms Rancho Park- 2920 Overland Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90064
Mark Twain- 9621 S Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90003
North Hollywood Regional- 5211 Tujunga Ave, North Hollywood, CA 91601
Echo Park- 1410 W Temple St, Los Angeles, CA 90026
Harbor City- 24000 S Western Ave, Harbor City, CA 90710
RL Stevenson- 803 Spence St, Los Angeles, CA 90023
Baldwin Hills- 2906 S La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90016
Pio Pico/KTown- 694 S Oxford Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90005
Valley Plaza- 12311 Vanowen St, North Hollywood, CA 91605
Robertson- 1719 S Robertson Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90035
El Sereno- 5226 Huntington Dr S, Los Angeles, CA 90032
Exposition Park- 3900 S Western Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90062
Eagle Rock- 5027 Caspar Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90041
Canoga Park- 20939 Sherman Way, Canoga Park, CA 91303
Chatsworth- 21052 Devonshire St, Chatsworth, CA 91311
Mar Vista- 12006 CA-187, Los Angeles, CA 90066
- General operation of the Student Zone during after school homework hours.
- Setting up the Student Zone so that it will be ready during the branch's Student Zone hours.
- Following all emergency procedures/protocols, as well as maintaining sanitary conditions in response to COVID-19, as directed by LAPL.
- Encouraging and assisting students in completing their school assignments
- Register students who participate in the Student Zone for LAPL resources (including an LAPL library card) and on PowerMyLearning®.
- Setting up Student Zone materials and supplies (including electronic equipment and stationery supplies).
- Answering simple questions and referring more complex reference questions to library staff.
- Assisting students in using electronic equipment.
- Ensuring that students adhere to the library rules of behavior and rules of conduct.
- Assisting library staff in maintaining records of participants, preparing reports of the Student Zone and collecting data such as evaluations and attendance sheets.
- Assisting librarians in determining what apps and computer programs will best suit the needs of the users of the Student Zones.
- Passion for PowerMyLearning's mission
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Clear LiveScan background check
- Good computer skills with knowledge of Google platforms (i.e. Google Docs, Drive, Sheets, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to create a positive learning atmosphere
- Able to maintain a regular schedule
- Strong problem-solving and customer service skills
- Team‐player who is also capable of working independently or with minimal oversight
- Able to bend over and/or crouch low to the ground throughout the work day
- Able to work in crowded, close-quartered environment
Preferred (if applicable):
- Bilingual Spanish/English or other language
- Experience working with children and families
OUR VALUES AND HIRING PHILOSOPHY
PowerMyLearning strives to embody our core values: Strengthen Relationships, Embrace Learning, Advance Equity, and Embody Humility.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization in which we give voice to, and meet the needs of, the teachers, families, and students we serve. PowerMyLearning encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds, especially people of color and members of other historically marginalized groups.
PowerMyLearning is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and does not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law.
We encourage applications from people with unusual career paths and diverse experiences. Even if you haven't had a similar role before, we welcome you to apply!
Qualified candidates can apply by submitting a resume and cover letter. To get started, fill out our quick application on the right.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.