- Pleasant Grove, UT, USA
- Full Time
Full-time; excellent benefits
Salary Range: $73,669-$103,137
First review of applications: June 6, 2022
First round interviews: June 13, 2022 (daytime)
Second-round interviews: June 21, 2022 (evening)
The Recreation Director is responsible for providing Pleasant Grove residents with high quality recreation opportunities. The Recreation Department's programs are designed to develop a sense of community and nourish diverse interactions within Pleasant Grove. The Recreation Director is responsible for overseeing the programs, activities, operations, and personnel of the department. This is an appointed executive level position; reporting to the City Administrator's supervision, and working under the direction of the Mayor and City Council.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- Responsible for the overall operation and administration of the Pleasant Grove Recreation Center and the Veterans Memorial Pool.
- Perform short and long term department plans.
- Perform budget management activities and provide oversight of department finances.
- Develop and maintain department policies and practices in alignment with City personnel policies and procedures.
- Administer and plan youth and adult recreation programs.
- Evaluate recreation programs for their effectiveness.
- Respond to inquiries from the public, citizen groups, City Council, and business organizations by providing information, and by facilitating problem resolution.
- Stay informed on national recreation trends and local community preferences for implementing and maintaining recreation programs.
- Prepare regular reports and maintains data to demonstrate the Recreation Department's contribution to the community.
- Provide direction and training to staff based on departmental goals, priorities, and objectives.
- Work with the Parks Director to ensure facility needs are met for recreation leagues.
- Hire, motivate, evaluate, reassign, discipline, and direct staff.
- Conduct training for recreation staff and community volunteers.
- Market and promote City recreation facilities and programs.
- Provide coordination for the public and city staff on increasing demands for usage of park and recreation facilities
- Act as a liaison to the Alpine School District and private entities for the joint development and use of park and recreation facilities.
- Attend executive staff meetings and City Council meetings.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Recreation Administration or a related field required; additional experience within the field of recreational management may be substituted for education.
- Five (5) years' experience in the field of recreation management; at least two (2) years of supervisory experience required.
- Thorough knowledge of principles, practices and techniques involved in the management of a recreation department.
- Thorough knowledge of principles and practices of municipal government administration and risk management procedures as applied to a recreation program.
- Knowledge of effective marketing and promotional practices and techniques.
- Knowledge of personnel practices as related to training, placement, discipline, and evaluation.
- Knowledge of rules and conduct of various community sports programs.
- Skill in interpersonal relations as applied to supervision of personnel and in interaction with public officials and representatives from outside agencies.
- Skill in techniques of conflict resolution.
- Skill in oral and written communications.
- Skill in budgeting including the ability to prepare, manage, and analyze department finances.
- Strong computer and technical skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Able to organize and schedule special events.
- This position may require use of personal or City vehicles on City business. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver's license and have a good driving record.
- Working conditions may vary.
- Intermittent outdoor site or field visits.
- Occasional night and weekend hours.
- No significantly hazardous conditions exist.
The City of Pleasant Grove is an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, religion, sex, pregnancy, genetic information, age, national origin, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, disability, veteran or military status, or any other factor protected by the law. Reasonable accommodations may be made for otherwise qualified individuals who require and request such accommodation.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities and duties performed on the job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job-related duties and responsibilities that an employee may perform. An employee in this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties required by their supervisor. This job description is not intended to and does not infer or create any employment, compensation, or contract rights to any person or persons. This updated job description supersedes prior descriptions for the same position. Management reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.