- Pleasant Grove, UT, USA
- 36,873- 51,622
- Full Time
Full-time; excellent benefits
The Parks Worker serves under the direction of the Parks Superintendent. This position is responsible for performing skilled work pertaining to park maintenance and design, construction and risk management related to city parks, park amenities, and other city owned properties.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- Assist in Managing and supervising sports field operation to achieve goals within available resources; plans and organizes workloads and staff assignments; trains, motivates and evaluates assigned staff; reviews progress and directs changes as needed.
- Assists in supervising and managing the planning of new sport fields and all of the amenities that would be necessary for the proper construction and maintenance of these facilities.
- Assist in training and supervising part-time and seasonal parks employees.
- Performs a variety of duties related to landscaping, grounds maintenance, and irrigation system management.
- Works with small equipment including mowers, tractors, vehicles, and a variety of hand and power tools.
- Cares for trees, shrubs, flowers and other plants on public lands.
- Performs safety inspection of assigned areas.
- Assures that assigned areas of responsibility are performed within budget; performs cost control activities; assures effective and efficient use of budgeted funds, personnel, materials, facilities, and time.
- Assists in the control of, and is responsible for, all materials and supplies used in the maintenance, construction and repair of City Parks and properties.
- Assists in preparing cost estimates to plan and provide for improvements in the parks and trails system.
- Performs a variety of miscellaneous duties such as answering phone, running errands, and picking up supplies needed.
- Assists other City departments on special projects and with public events.
- Works with the Recreation Department to upkeep sports fields and turf for recreation sports leagues.
- Occasionally required to work on-call and responds to after-hours emergencies
- Maintains records of equipment usage and maintenance.
- Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent. Bachelor's Degree in associated field, including course work in organization and administration preferred.
- One (1) year of progressively responsible experience in parks and grounds maintenance.
- Knowledge of modern principles and practices of supervision, including planning and organizing in the operation of city parks and properties.
- Knowledge of laws, regulations and ordinances relating to departmental activities.
- Knowledge of occupational safety rules and regulations.
- Ability to establish attainable goals, objectives and work plans, to supervise and motivate subordinates to achieve goals and objectives in a timely and effective manner.
- Ability to communicate to employees oral and written instructions.
- Ability to operate and maintain equipment such as trucks, mowers, tractors, etc.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public.
- Ability to operate hand and power tools and equipment.
- The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, bend, stoop, talk, hear, walk, use hands to operate, handle or feel objects, or controls, and reach with hands and arms, and lift 25 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Working conditions may vary.
- The work environment is often a combination of indoor and outdoor work.
- Frequent exposure to adverse weather conditions, prolonged and high noise levels, noxious chemicals, and potentially heavy traffic.
The City of Pleasant Grove is an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, religion, sex, pregnancy, genetic information, age, national origin, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, disability, veteran or military status, or any other factor protected by the law. Reasonable accommodations may be made for otherwise qualified individuals who require and request such accommodation.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities and duties performed on the job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job-related duties and responsibilities that an employee may perform. An employee in this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties required by their supervisor. This job description is not intended to and does not infer or create any employment, compensation, or contract rights to any person or persons. This updated job description supersedes prior descriptions for the same position. Management reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.