Seasonal, Part-time, non-benefiited/non-exempt
The Assistant Manager for Aquatics serves at the pleasure of the Aquatics Manager and the Recreation Director. This position assists in the hiring, training, testing and certification of staff as well as assuring that appropriate water health and safety standards are maintained. In addition to managerial duties this position reports to the Aquatics Manager on progress and together formulating plans to improve customer satisfaction and revenue. Weekly hours are full time, seasonal (mid-April to mid-September) not to exceed 40 hours per week. Weekly hours may vary depending on department needs and programming. Must be able to commit to preseason work in April, full summer season and ideally post season in September.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
Duties can include any of the following
Assists the Aquatics Manager in the recruitment, training, scheduling, certification, and performance of employee. Track mandatory lifeguard training requirements and provide reports when needed. Assists the aquatics manager including but not limited to:
- Oversees the day to day activities of staff, facilities, and events, including developing and conducting on-going in-service programs for all staff.
- Oversees the maintenance of the pools, to include chemistry, cleanliness and related maintenance in compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations, policies and guidelines for the operation of a public swimming pool.
- Ensure equipment upkeep to make certain clean, efficient and safe operation of pools occur.
- Prepares and tracks statistical and chemical control reports on a daily basis.
- Coordinate pool schedule for public and private use ensuring appropriate supervision is provided.
- Assist in preparation for special activities and events.
- Participates in and teaches certification training sessions, as necessary.
High School Diploma or equivalent
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
Working knowledge of various programming aspects such as special events, swim lessons, swim team and other activities
Preferred 3 years experience working in pool positions
Current, LGT, CPR & (WSI preferred)
Current CPO or AFO desired but not mandatory
Post-Secondary classes in recreation desired but not mandatory
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to make sound decisions in a stressful aquatics environment. Some medium lifting involved.
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions
- Moderate physical activity. Requires standing and/or walking for more than 4 hours per day.
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which requires following basic safety precautions and procedures.
- Good communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Good public relations and customer service skills under sometime stressful situations
- Ability to understand written and spoken instructions
- Ability to lift 15 to 50 pounds
Ability to operate computers and related software programs and various office machines
Minimum of 3 years experience working in pool supervisory positions. 1 year experience working with pool chemical adjustments and pump room operations
**Note that most PGVMP applications will be reviewed in March 2022