The Custodian serves under the direction of the Head Custodian. This position is responsible for the cleaning of city owned facilities.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- Performs a variety of maintenance tasks requiring a wide range of skills including sweeping, mopping, scrubbing and waxing, dusting and cleaning offices, washing windows and walls, replacing light bulbs, vacuuming carpets, polishing desks and other furniture, emptying waste baskets, cleaning and maintaining restrooms and replenishing supplies.
- Performs a variety of miscellaneous duties such as answering the phone, running errands, and picking up supplies as needed.
- Performs minor repair on a wide variety of equipment such as vacuums, floor buffers, carpet extractors, chairs and tables.
- Performs minor plumbing and electrical repairs.
- Maintains liaison with other departments.
- Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent.
- One (1) year of specialized training related to facilities maintenance in an industrial or public setting
- Knowledge of laws, regulations and ordinances relating to departmental activities.
- Knowledge of occupational safety rules and regulations.
- Ability to establish attainable goals, objectives and work plans, to supervise and motivate subordinates to achieve goals and objectives in a timely and effective manner.
- Ability to communicate to employees oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public.
- Ability to sit, stand, bend, stoop, talk, and hear.
- The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, bend, stoop, talk, hear, walk, use hands to operate, finger, handle or feel objects, or controls, and reach with hands and arms, and lift 25 pounds.
- Working conditions may vary.
- No significantly hazardous conditions exist.
- The work environment is often a combination of indoor and outdoor work.
- The employee is required to conduct field visits on a regular basis; exposure to the hot sun and outdoor elements will occur.
Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
Job descriptions assist organizations in ensuring that the hiring process is fairly administered and that qualified employees are selected. They are also essential to an effective appraisal system and related promotion, transfer, layoff and termination decisions. Well-constructed job descriptions are an integral part of any effective compensation system.
All descriptions have been reviewed in an attempt to illustrate essential functions and basic duties, in addition to 'peripheral tasks' or that could generally be considered "other duties as assigned". In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements be interpreted as all-inclusive. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. Requirements, skills and abilities included have been determined to illustrate the minimal standards required to successfully perform the positions.
In accordance with Americans with Disabilities Act, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions & duties as described.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of Pleasant Grove City.