This position works under the direction of the Public Works Director and the Water Superintendent. Responsibilities include daily operating a variety of equipment in the construction, operation, repair, maintenance, and replacement of City streets, right-of-way, and storm water drainage systems of the City.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- Inspect, maintain and/or repair utility infrastructure, including water lines, sewer lines and pressure irrigation systems.
- Perform required labor involved in construction, reconstruction, and maintenance projects, including pavement repair, ditch digging, pipe laying, and sampling.
- Traverse assigned routes by foot and/or vehicle, take readings of water meter dials, and input accurate data.
- Perform water service disconnects, reconnects, and new service orders, and handle complaints.
- Maintain a variety of records relating to inspections, maintenance activities, water meter testing, consumption, etc.
- Determine the locations of utility lines prior to excavation.
- Contact and provide notices to residents and business owners in areas where water service will be interrupted.
- Drive trucks of various sizes and weights and operate a variety of powered construction and maintenance equipment.
- Communicate with co-workers, citizens, and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- High School diploma or GED
- Valid drivers' license required
- CDL must be obtained within 6 months of hire
- One (1) year of progressively responsible experience in Public Works
- Equipment operating experience on light and heavy equipment desired
- Considerable knowledge of the materials, methods, practices and equipment of public works field operations such as water, sewer, maintenance, repair of streets, mechanical maintenance, automotive fleets, and safety practices.
- The hazards of such work and the safety precautions necessary to minimize them.
- Mathematical principles as required by a general high school curriculum.
- Sewer repair, maintenance, and installation.
- Local infrastructure including the location and source of major utilities, rights-of-way, public property, and public buildings.
- Ability to work in all types of weather for a prolonged period of time.
- Ability to obtain a CDL (Class B) within 6 months of hire.
- Ability to understand and effectively carry out written and oral instructions and to complete and maintain accurate written reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public and other employees.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and recommend solutions.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to lift heavy objects with assistance.
- Ability to perform general office work with recurring movement, including lifting, standing, bending, walking, crawling, or climbing.
- Working conditions may vary.
- Regularly works in hazardous or potentially hazardous conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually outdoors and loud.
The City of Pleasant Grove is an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, religion, sex, pregnancy, genetic information, age, national origin, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, disability, veteran or military status, or any other factor protected by the law. Reasonable accommodations may be made for otherwise qualified individuals who require and request such accommodation.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities and duties performed on the job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job-related duties and responsibilities that an employee may perform. An employee in this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties required by their supervisor. This job description is not intended to and does not infer or create any employment, compensation, or contract rights to any person or persons. This updated job description supersedes prior descriptions for the same position. Management reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.