The Swim Lessons Coordinator serves at the pleasure of the Aquatics Manager and the Recreation Director. This position assists in the hiring, training, testing and certification of staff as well as assuring that appropriate water health and safety standards are maintained. In addition to managerial duties, this position requires the applicant to oversee the swim lesson program, reporting to the Aquatics Manager on progress and together formulating plans to improve customer satisfaction and revenue. Weekly hours are full time, seasonal (mid-April to mid-September) not to exceed 40 hours per week. Weekly hours may vary depending on department needs and programming.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
Assists the Aquatics Manager in the recruitment, training, scheduling, certification, and performance of employee. Track mandatory lifeguard training requirements and provide reports when needed. Verify certifications for all swim teachers if applicable. Assists the aquatics manager including but not limited to:
- Oversees the day to day activities of staff, facilities, and events, including developing and conducting on-going in-service programs for all staff.
- Oversees the maintenance of the pools, to include chemistry, cleanliness and related maintenance in compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations, policies and guidelines for the operation of a public swimming pool.
- Ensure equipment upkeep to make certain clean, efficient and safe operation of pools occur.
- Prepares and tracks statistical and chemical control reports on a daily basis.
- Coordinate pool schedule for public and private use ensuring appropriate supervision is provided.
- Assist in preparation for special activities and events.
- Participates in and teaches certification training sessions, as necessary.
- Organizes and supervisors all swim lessons programs. This includes hiring and training swim instructors and aides. Ensure smooth and functional registration procedure. Make sure proper teaching techniques are being taught to ensure the safety of each swim lesson participant.
High School Diploma or equivalent
Current, LGT, CPR & (WSI preferred)
Current CPO or AFO desired but not mandatory
Post-Secondary classes in recreation desired but not mandatory
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to make sound decisions in a stressful aquatics environment. Some medium lifting involved.
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions
- Moderate physical activity. Requires standing and/or walking for more than 4 hours per day.
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which requires following basic safety precautions and procedures.
- Good communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Good public relations and customer service skills under sometime stressful situations
- Ability to understand written and spoken instructions
- Ability to lift 15 to 50 pounds
Ability to operate computers and related software programs and various office machines
Minimum of 3 years experience working in pool supervisory positions. 1 year experience working with pool chemical adjustments and pump room operations
**Note that most PGVMP applications will be reviewed in March 2021