The Swim Instructor/Aide serves at the pleasure of the Assistant Aquatics Manager and Aquatics Manager. This position is responsible for the instruction of youth participating in our summer swim program. This position is also responsible for the safety of all members of their class. Swim Instructor/Aides enforces policies and rules pertaining to water safety. They are also to be examples of rule obeying patrons when not on duty. Weekly hours are part time, seasonal (mid-April to September) not to exceed 40 hours per week. Weekly hours may vary depending on department needs and programming.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
Duties can include any of the following:
Swim Instructor/Aides oversee water activities enforcing rules and policies as needed to ensure patron safety.
- Instructs youth participants according to the swim program as taught at Pleasant Grove Veterans Memorial Pool.
- Assist in preparation for special activities and events.
- Assist in rescue procedures as directed and fulfill role outlined in Emergency Action Plan
- Assist in basic clean up and overall facility appearance as needed.
- Applicants must be at least 14 years of age.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to make sound decisions in a stressful aquatics environment. Some medium lifting involved.
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions
- Moderate physical activity. Requires standing and/or walking for more than 4 hours/day.
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which requires following basic safety precautions and procedures.
- Good communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Good public relations and customer service skills under sometime stressful situations
- Ability to understand written and spoken instructions
- Ability to lift 15 to 50 pounds
Current WSI is preferred
Prior experience a plus, but not required
This position is expected to serve the public through the offerings of the swimming pool and may be required to work in adverse weather conditions. They will be expected to lift, carry and manage equipment and supplies. They may be required to stand for extended lengths of time during a shift. They may have to work odd or long hours at a time to complete special requests or projects. Hours may include weekends and some holidays. Hours may vary as season and activities dictate with a maximum of 29 hours per week. This position may also at times participate in strenuous physical activities, both indoors and out.
**Note that most PGVMP applications will be reviewed in March 2021