- 19-Jan-2021 to Until Filled (EST)
- West Columbia, SC, USA
- Full Time
The Patient Account Specialist functions as the financial liaison for patients. Their role is to aid patients in obtaining and maintaining any available funding assistance for their treatment as well as ensure collection of the patient's financial responsibility. The Patient Account Specialist is responsible for monitoring the patient's account throughout their therapy to maintain low outstanding balances and ensure enrollment in assistance programs.
- Prior experience working in medical billing/collections.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- 2 years of experience in a related field.
- Medical terminology and coding.
- Must be highly organized.
- Must have strong communication skills, both oral and written, and be customer service driven.
- A record of satisfactory performance in all prior and current employment as evidenced by positive employment references from previous and current employers.
- Must be able to assume a flexible work schedule.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills in handling interactions with Palmetto Infusion staff, other agencies, groups, patients and families.
- Competent in use of company email as means of communication, accessing the company website to view company policies and electronic medical records.
- Competent in the use of company self-service payroll software (time and attendance, benefits, pay statements).
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and the ability to navigate Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome. Proficient in typing, and familiar with office equipment.
- Proficient in the operation of the current EMR software.
- This position requires a knowledge of, and sensitivity to, cultural and language differences.
- Must have the ability to perform basic mathematical computations. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- There are a number of deadlines associated with this position. The employee must also multi-task and interact with a wider variety of people on various and, at times, complicated issues.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the primary functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to frequently stand, walk, sit, bend, twist, talk and hear. There may be prolonged periods of sitting, keyboarding, reading, as well as driving or riding in transport vehicles. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include reading, distance, computer, and color vision. Talking and hearing are essential to communicate with patients, vendors and staff.
- Must be able to work as a team member and develop productive and cooperative working relationships with all members of the Palmetto Infusion team.
- Must adhere to and comply with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) at all times.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures clinic schedules have been verified prior to each appointment and documents amounts to collect from patients during their visits.
- Monitors and coordinates collection of patient payments for assigned clinics.
- Aids patients in the enrollment and re-enrollment process for funding assistance programs.
- Enrolls patients in copay assistance and foundation grants, when required.
- Monitors funding resources and on-going patient eligibility.
- Monitors outstanding patient balances and compliance with payment arrangements.
- Assists with identifying patients that need to be evaluated for free drug or ship-in drug.
- Negotiates payment arrangements with patients as necessary.
- Assists with obtaining physician notes from referring physician's Assists with identifying patients who need to be evaluated for free drug or ship-in drug.
- Assists with obtaining financial hardship information to submit to the Reimbursement Team for evaluation.
- Ensures appropriate documents are up to date and present in patient's medical record.
- Completes Insurance Benefit Summaries (IBS) and forwards to appropriate clinic locations/staff.
- Completes Advance Beneficiary Notices (ABN) when required and explains to patient why it is required.
- Utilizes the EMR software exclusively for the purposes of communicating and documenting patient information.
- Demonstrates ability to maintain calm under pressure and cope with stressful or changing environment.
- Participates in the orientation of other staff as requested.
- Performs other duties and projects as requested.
In performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees and contract employees of Palmetto Infusion are expected to conform to the following:
- Adhere to all professional and ethical behavior standards of the healthcare industry.
- Display a neat, clean and professional appearance at all times.
- Interact in an honest, trustworthy and dependable manner with patients, employees and vendors.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Maintain a current insurable driver's license.
- Maintain professional licensure, certification and health requirements as required for this position.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the primary functions of this job. Normal office conditions exist, and the noise level in the work environment can vary from low to moderate. Limited overnight travel may be required from time to time.
All employees must uphold the confidentiality of protected health information and follow all HIPAA policies. This position has access to sensitive information and a breach of information may be grounds for immediate termination.
Disclaimer: The information on this position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performance by employees in this position. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. Employees will be asked to perform other duties as needed.