DEAN OF STUDENTS
Department: Counseling and Student Success
Reports to: Principal
The dean of students reports directly to the principal and is responsible for fostering an atmosphere conducive to learning. The dean of students will oversee all issues pertaining to the well-being of students during their attendance at the school.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The dean of students will:
- Work with the principal to develop and manage academic and social policies, protocols, and practices that serve to support student development, learning, health, and safety.
- Collaborate with the Counseling & Student Support team to provide academic support, student counseling, and testing.
- Promote high standards and expectations for academic performance, student leadership, personal integrity, and community responsibility.
- Oversee student conduct and maintain student discipline and collaborate with the Principal on higher-level enfractions.
- Schedule parent-teacher conferences; maintain records regarding academic performance.
- Oversee and supervise advising, wellness, and counseling systems.
- Address social and academic infractions; maintain correspondence related to grades and conduct with parents and other concerned parties.
- Counsel students when necessary.
- Ensure the health and safety of students on campus.
- Coordinate new-student orientation in partnership with the offices of student life and enrollment.
- Schedule special programs and events for attendance by the student body such as All School Meeting, Special Assemblies, etc.
- Coordinate preparation, communicate, and maintain the school's master calendar within MyPacifica.
- Maintain and implement the Student Handbook in collaboration with the Academic Senate.
- Keep the principal informed regarding student issues and campus life.
- Uphold and implement the school's mission and culture as outlined in Pacifica's Core Beliefs & Approach to Teaching & Learning, Staff Handbook, Student Handbook, etc.
- Show up on time, be prepared, add value to the offices and departments in which they serve, and be a positive team player.
- Perform other duties as assigned by and in support of the principal.
Other Duties & Shared Responsibilities
- Embodies and promotes Pacifica's Core Beliefs and Approach to Teaching & Learning.
- Arrives on-time, is well-prepared, acts professionally, and seeks to add value in every facet of the job while working collaboratively with colleagues and students to advance Pacifica's mission. Maintains communication with parents and responds to messages within 24 hours. Holds self directly accountable to their direct report and to the departments they serve, and ultimately the Head of School.
- Wholeheartedly enjoys working with teenagers, championing their education, and encouraging their faith and Christian commitments.
- Cultivates a vibrant culture of learning in and outside of the classroom and contributes to a healthy professional working community
- Serves as an Advisor to a cohort of students.
- Attends and participates in weekly Chapel and All-School Meeting as well as other school-day events/assemblies.
- Attends and readily participates in Pacifica's annual overnight All-School Retreat as well as Admissions Open House(s), Back-to-School Night, and Commencement activities.
- Celebrates students' by attending their co-curricular activities on occasion.
- Contributes to the supervision of a reasonable number of after-school activities as needed.
[List the education, experience, and other skills required for the position (e.g., bachelor's degree, teaching certificate, excellent oral and written communication skills, ability to get along with co-workers and other school community members, etc.).]