- Yakima, WA, USA
- Full Time
The Medical Assistant (Registered, A, C, E) provides direct patient care within the scope of their certification (see attachments) while assisting the provider as needed.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities Required: Ability to read, write and communicate clearly in English; organizational skills; knowledge of medical terminology/legal medical abbreviations; ability to appropriately handle disgruntled patients; ability to work under stressful conditions; ability to prioritize and multitask; ability to work with limited supervision; proficient in common computer applications, previous knowledge using EHR helpful.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs patient care responsibilities as assigned that may include checking schedules and organizing patient flow
- Recognize and participate in clinical emergencies as needed
- Room patients, take vitals, identify chief complaint (HPI), enter Review of Systems (ROS)
- Review and update medications and allergies
- Enter outside diagnostic tests which may have already been performed under "Outside Studies" in EHR
- Instructs patient for exam based on provider preferences
- Orders x-rays as needed per provider preferences
- Set up for injections and aspirations
- Assist providers as requested
- Apply dressings and remove staples/stitches and apply steri-strips and/or benzoin as requested
- Processes pre-approved requests for patient medications and refills
- Document all patient communications
- Re-stock room supplies at the beginning of each day to include laundry
- Cleans rooms between patient visits to maintain infection control
- Check expiration dates on medications in draw stations
- Notifies supervisor regarding any malfunctioning equipment
- Continuously employs infection control and blood borne pathogen standards
- Schedule appointments, tests; verify insurance coverage and authorizations
- Work closely with the surgery coordinators to have a continuous flow for the patients when surgical intervention is required
- Float to other areas of the clinic as needed
- Performs organizational responsibilities as assigned including; respecting/promoting patient rights, responding appropriately to emergency codes, sharing problems relating to patients and/or staff with immediate supervisor
- Attend monthly clinical meetings
- Other duties as assigned
He/she may be exposed to communicable diseases and/or exposure to sharp instruments, bodily fluids and cleaning chemicals.
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time on a daily basis
- Physical requirements for this position include hearing, seeing, speaking, feeling, talking, reaching, pinching and repetitive motions.
- Ability to understand, remember, and apply oral and written instruction or other information
- Ability to plan, organize, and carry out assignments from management staff with minimal direction.
- Ability to organize and prioritize job duties in an effective and timely manner, set priorities and meet critical deadlines
- Ability to maintain accurate files and records
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with individuals via telephone or face to face encounters
Respect: Recognize our differences as strengths affirming each other and valuing each other's contributions.
Compassion: Listening, anticipating, being attentive and perspective shifting so others feel cared for and understood.
Accountability: Taking responsibility for our actions being trustworthy and demonstrating integrity.
Safety: Taking responsibility for myself and others to practice tools to ensure safety for all
Teamwork: Healthcare is best delivered by a team working together, sharing unique talents, perspectives, ideas and efforts to achieve our goals.
Excellence: Implementing best practices, being creative, innovative and flexible, setting and achieving bold goals.
ONW physicians provides reasonable accommodations to assist qualified individuals in order to perform the essential duties there job requires. The description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements and serves as merely a summary rather than a complete listing of duties. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, and working conditions may change as needs evolve. This job description does not constitute a contract as employment is at will.