- New Orleans, LA, USA
- 75000-80000 per year salary commensurate with experience
- Full Time
Eligible for a full benefits package.
ABOUT THE ORLEANS PARISH DISTRICT ATTORNEY'S OFFICE (OPDA):
Jason Rogers Williams took office as the Orleans Parish District Attorney on January 11, 2021, and is building a 21st century prosecutors' office with a team of the best and brightest from around the country and a mission of being as smart on crime as the office has historically been tough on crime. New Orleans has led the world in convictions and incarceration for decades, without any corresponding decrease in crime. OPDA is simultaneously increasing safety and delivering justice with a laser focus on serious offenses and a belief that every New Orleanian deserves the presumption of innocence.
This newly created position will join OPDA's growing team of analytics experts.
The Database Engineer will be charged with keeping the OPDA case management system up and running smoothly 24/7. The Engineer will be responsible for expanding and optimizing OPDA's data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross-functional teams. The Engineer's goal is to provide a seamless flow of information throughout OPDA, considering both front-end accessibility for end-users and back-end data structure.
The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. The Database Engineer will support the in-house Data Analyst and GIS Analyst, act as a liaison with local analytics resources on data initiatives, and ensure that optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects.
The Database Engineer must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems, and products. The ideal candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing local criminal justice data architecture to support new data-to-policy initiatives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
· Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture.
· Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional/non-functional OPDA requirements.
· Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: e.g., automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability.
· Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS "big data" technologies.
· Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency, and other key performance metrics.
· Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing OPDA product into an innovative industry leader.
· Work with internal stakeholders, including the Administrative team, Data Analytics team, Division leadership, and Assistant District Attorneys, to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
· Work with interagency data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in OPDA and criminal justice data systems.
· Graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems, or another quantitative field.
· 5+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role.
· Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases and query authoring (SQL), as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
· Experience building and optimizing "big data" data pipelines, architectures, and data sets.
· Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific criminal justice questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
· Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
· Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency, and workload management.
· A successful history of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
· Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable "big data" data stores.
· Strong project management and organizational skills.
· Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
· Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
· Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgres and Cassandra.
· Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow, etc.
· Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift.
· Experience with stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
· Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary commensurate with experience. New hires may be eligible for:
· Enrollment in the City of New Orleans health insurance plan
· 6.44 hours of sick leave and no fewer than 6.44 hours of vacation leave per month (6.44 hours per month = approximately 10 days per year)
· Enrollment in the New Orleans Municipal Employees' Retirement System
· Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness program
· A generous paid holiday schedule
OPDA is an equal opportunity employer. The office values a diverse workforce and management reflective of the communities that it serves. OPDA adheres to a policy of making employment, promotion, and other personnel decisions without regard to race, culture, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, caregiver status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship, age, or disability.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION:
OPDA is dedicated to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities, and talent that OPDA employees invest in their work represents a significant part of the office's culture, reputation, and achievement. OPDA embraces and encourages employees' differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make its employees unique.
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance