- Columbus, OH, USA
- Full Time
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/AD&D, Short & Long-Term disability, OPERS, Deferred compensation, paid sick & vacation, paid holidays, paid parental leave
The Ohio History Connection's mission is to
Spark discovery of Ohio's stories.
Embrace the present, share the past and transform the future.
- Salary: $39,520.00
- Full time, permanent
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, life/AD&D, short & long-term disability, voluntary/supplemental insurance, paid time off (vacation, sick, personal, holidays), paid parental leave, free institution membership, employee discounts
The Archaeology Curator is an integral part of the Curatorial Department at the Ohio History Connection. This position works independently, with and in support of colleagues to manage, develop, use and interpret the Archaeology Collections and related materials through cataloging and acquisitions and by contributing to exhibits, programs and the Archaeology Blog. This position will report to the Manager, Curatorial Department.
The role of the Archaeology Curator will be shaped for the next several years by a project to inventory and catalog new and recent donations and transfers of materials and by the organization's commitment to repatriate American Indian ancestors and items subject to the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA) over the next ten years.
The position will be tasked with the challenge of broadening historical and cultural knowledge of Ohio and the United States by researching and making available to other researchers the historic archaeology collections and should demonstrate ability to identify prehistoric Ohio American Indian and historic archaeology artifacts. The Ohio History Connection is committed to diversity and inclusivity and recognizes the importance of many perspectives in the preservation and interpretation of Ohio's history and culture. We seek candidates from all communities including but not limited to People of Color, American Indians, recent immigrants and others interested in telling the rich stories of Ohio's people, past and present.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inventory and catalog donated collections of artifacts and collections we hold on behalf of other entities daily, including, but not limited to the Ohio Department of Transportation and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Collections must be documented to improve our ability to care for them and to make them available to researchers and the general public.
- Maintain and grow relationships with Cultural Resource Management firms daily to facilitate intake and management of their collections.
- Contribute to growing our digital collections database, CollectionSpace, and use the database to complete collections processes daily.
- Maintain and grow relationships with Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation (NAGPRA) Coordinator and Director of American Indian Relations to assist with collections evaluations and repatriate ancestors and NAGPRA eligible items over the next ten years.
- Contribute to shaping the content of the collections weekly by evaluating donation offers, which will dictate the collection's strengths and potential uses in the future. Cataloging and acquisitions research will allow the curator to develop a deep understanding of collections that can drive future research, writing, presentations, exhibits and collecting.
- Write for the OHC History blog quarterly.
- Fulfill media and filming requests as needed, usually several times per year.
- Participate in delivering quality public programming at the Ohio History Connection quarterly.
- Contribute to exhibits as a content expert, usually no more than one exhibit per year.
- Conduct or monitor contractors doing archaeological excavations on Ohio History Connection property to assist the Archaeology Coordinator.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in archaeology from an accredited university OR equivalent work experience in a related field.
- Minimum of three years' experience working with archaeology artifacts in a museum or related field. It can be challenging for some candidates to earn the degrees or acquire the experience required for the position of Archaeology Curator.
- Additional years of related work experience or additional related degree programs or trainings will be accepted in lieu of the degree or experience requirements.
Please submit your resume and applicable materials including cover letter though https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/ohiohistory/jobs. For general inquiries, please email email@example.com. Please do not email resume or application materials. Alternate methods of application are available to those who need accommodation.