The Ohio History Connection's mission is to
Spark Discovery of Ohio's stories.
Embrace the present, share the past and transform the future.
Ohio Village Interpreter, Seasonal, Part-Time
Interpreters are engaged storytellers who are approachable, passionate, and inclusive. Interpreters bring the past to life in Ohio Village by engaging visitors in conversation, hands-on activities, and other creative pathways that spark a personal connection to Ohio history. This position will facilitate experiences for visitors in both costumed (1890s) 3rd person roles and costumed 1st person roles in the Ohio Village. The standard work week is Wednesday-Sunday, April-September, with some evenings based on special event scheduling. This position reports to the Coordinator, Ohio Village Operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Converse with visitors and answer questions about Ohio Village and the past.
- Work regularly with colleagues to provide the best experience for visitors.
- Assist with public programs, tours, and other events as necessary.
- Promote diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion in all interactions.
- Work alongside volunteers in day-to-day tasks, programming, and interpretive training.
- Wearing historically accurate costuming required (Costuming will be provided by OHC).
Education and Experience:
High School graduate or the equivalent training and experience from prior work of six (6) months or more in a related position at a museum, historic site or National Park, or experience in acting, artistic endeavors, or performing arts is preferred.
Work is performed in Ohio Village, which includes buildings lacking climate control with direct exposure to the outdoors. Most work in Ohio Village will be performed while in historic costume. Involves daily contact with staff and the public.