- Odessa, TX, USA
Medical, Dental, Vision & Life Insurance, Paid Holidays, Paid Time Off, Retirement, Free Health Clinic, Free 24/7 Gym, Longevity Pay, Credit Union, Incentive/Skills Pay, Tuition Reimbursement Program, Military Leave, Deferred Compensation, Workers' Compensation
Department: Geointelligence Reports to: Geographic Information Officer
Summary: Under basic supervision, assists with the operations and maintenance of the City's Geographic Information System (GIS); reviews and verifies acquired data, updates and maintains the large, complex multi-layered digital spatial data system, and assists with customer services.
Essential Functions: Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Updates and maintains the City GIS Enterprise System; performs quality control checks to assure data integrity; resolves problems within scope of authority; duties may vary according to job assignment.
- Receives, reviews, and verifies acquired data; cleans and develops data attributes; updates and maintains the feature datasets of the large, complex multi-layered digital spatial data system.
- Assists with technical support, development and modification of GIS databases and application integration.
- Uses established GIS software programs, commands, and compilation methods to manipulate digital spatial data and generate special purpose maps, GIS products, and geo-based data for City departments and public agencies as directed; determines and executes the appropriate sequence of data processing tasks.
- Makes corrections in response to changes and additional data sets integrated into GIS.
- Compiles, converts, manipulates, and integrates GIS data; updates the digital data layers.
- Coordinates with user departments to define needs and requests for GIS data.
- Provides technical support and training for GIS users.
- Monitors application functionality and customer utilization.
- Supports the divisional operations with regular and timely attendance.
- Documents work completed; maintains work log of service requests, malfunctions, and errors.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Odessa and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines: High School Diploma or GED equivalent required. Three years' experience developing and maintaining a spatial database in an ESRI GIS program application; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience. Associate's Degree in Computer Science, Geography, Engineering, or related field is preferred.
- GIS operations, policies, and procedures.
- Principles and practices of GIS/GPS, including data compilation and conversion, database management systems, graphics, and mapping.
- Principals and procedures used to maintain relational databases.
- Specialized ESRI and SQL procedures and protocols.
- Quality assurance procedures and documentation standards for database systems.
- Capabilities of computer systems, including networked environments and peripheral devices.
- Principles and protocols for management of electronic information, access, and security.
- Working in a technical environment with interlinked and changing priorities.
- Using GIS / ESRI software suite programs and procedures.
- Developing, manipulating, and analyzing GIS data in a variety of data formats and projections.
- Maintaining accurate and interrelated database records, and identifying and reconciling errors.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers and clients.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
License and certification requirements: A valid Texas State Driver's License is required.
Physical demands and working environment: Work is performed in a standard office environment.