Northwest Special Recreation Association (NWSRA) enriches the lives of children and adults with disabilities as a partnership of 17 Park Districts located within the northwest suburbs of Chicago.
NWSRA provides outstanding recreation opportunities for people with disabilities within our member Park Districts through weekly programs, adult day programs (PURSUIT), special events, summer day camps and inclusion in Park District programs. NWSRA is a park district that serves people with disabilities.
Many individuals with disabilities choose to participate in NWSRA's member Park District's programs with their typically developing peers. NWSRA assists these individuals by providing inclusion support services to our Park Districts and families.
Working with NWSRA participants within the inclusion department includes being an advocate for each individual, providing activity adaptation while emphasizing their abilities. You may work on a 1:1, 1:2 or 1:3 ratio based on individual needs.
To participate in NWSRA's overall purpose of providing leisure experiences in all areas of recreation to individuals with disabilities. Individuals served include all age and ability levels. To work effectively with participants, employees, parents, partner agency's and recreation department employee, teachers and others in the community. The primary responsibility of this position is the organization of programs and direct program leadership.
- Pursuing a degree in Therapeutic Recreation, Parks and Recreation, Special Education or related fields.
- Knowledge of recreation activity areas and skills to instruct sports and games, fitness, cultural arts, outdoor, travel, motor, general recreation and social programs.
- Must have strong communication, computer, leadership and organizational skills
- Class "D" driver's license
- Lead programs an average of 15-20 hours weekly during program seasons (summer, fall, winter and spring)
- Assist with program related training of all support staff.
- Assist with the distribution of equipment and supplies to support staff in programs.
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of all related flyers and brochures.
Depend upon school requirements and agency needs. Due to Covid-19, NWSRA programs are only running Monday-Friday.
NWSRA aspires to create the most engaging experience for the individuals who participate in our programs. We are looking for applicants who want to inspire others, have fun while working hard and are motivated to improve themselves. If all this interests you, we want you to join our family, Apply Now!
All positions are part-time and work schedules may range from a minimum of 1 hour per week up to 25 hours per week. Scheduling is assigned at the beginning of each program season, yet hours are flexible and can be adjusted per season. Reliable transportation is required to ensure attendance at all scheduled programs. When committing to work in a program you must be able to work all program dates for the entire season.
NWSRA provides over 2,000 recreational programs annually, many emphasizing healthy living, fitness, imagination, community involvement and increasing life skills. NWSRA works with member Park Districts to provide inclusive, accessible programs so our participants can Celebrate Their Lives.