- College of Chiropractic
- Bloomington, MN, USA
- Full Time
Northwestern Health Sciences University invites applications for a 0.5 FTE Ranked Faculty position in the College of Chiropractic. This is a 12-month, faculty position where academic rank and compensation will be determined by qualifications and experience.
Northwestern Health Sciences University prepares the next generation of healthcare professionals to deliver and advance health care.
Founded in 1941, NWHSU is a progressive institution educating the next generation of health care professionals. While the institution's history is rooted in the chiropractic profession, NWHSU now focuses more broadly on integrative care, health, and wellness. In addition to our Doctor of Chiropractic, we offer a Doctor in Chinese Medicine, and offerings in massage therapy, nutrition, undergraduate health sciences, and the allied health professions - medical assisting, medical laboratory science, medical laboratory technology, radiation therapy, and radiologic technology. We are a mission- and vision-driven university, preparing the next generation of healthcare professionals to not only deliver, but advance health care.
The Basic Sciences Department of the College of Chiropractic seeks a part-time teaching faculty member for courses in Biochemistry and Gross Anatomy. Duties will include the instruction of the laboratories themselves, interacting with students, directing them in laboratory procedures and answering questions. Evaluating and creating student assessments and assisting the course director in management of the course are also part of the duties required. Assignment to University committee work may also be expected. There are additional teaching and clinical opportunities that may be available. Unique to this position will be the opportunity to participate in a mentored model of graduate level teaching at Northwestern Health Sciences University.
We seek an individual highly motivated toward teaching as a profession. Several basic science disciplines will be offered as a part of this mentored model: Biochemistry, Physiology and Pathology, and Neuroscience are examples.
This is a part-time, benefits eligible opportunity working a minimum of 20 hours per week.
- A terminal professional degree is required in one or more of the following:
- DC, PharmD, DPT, MD, DO, Ph.D. in a related field, or similar
- Prior teaching experience is preferred, but not required
- High aptitude in the basic sciences
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- High levels of self-motivation
- Experience or interest in various models of teaching including backwards design, team-based and problem-based learning
- A willingness to participate in hybrid models of teaching
Course Assignment Specifics:
- Biochemistry 1 Labs: Averages 2 hours / week per section (in non-COVID time). Fall: 5 sections; Winter: 3 Sections; Summer: 1 section. Up to 10 hours / week
- Gross Anatomy 2 Lab Floater: Average 3-5 hours per week
- Mentoring in one of the disciplines: Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Physiology, or Pathology, 6-8 hours per week. We foresee that following a first term of mentoring, the new faculty member would be increasingly responsible for both lecture and online teaching under supervision, and eventually becoming independently responsible for selected lectures, assessment creation, and other duties as assigned.
NWHSU is proud to offer you and your eligible family members a comprehensive benefits package. Our package is designed to change with you meeting current needs and anticipating your future needs. We offer medical, dental, and vision care insurance. Flexible spending accounts that allow you to pay for out of pocket medical and daycare or eldercare expenses with pre-tax dollars. Life insurance, short-term disability and long-term disability that allow you to be protected for an unexpected loss or income interruptions. As your partner in building retirement income, NWHSU provides a 403(b) Plan. On-site clinic services for you and your immediate family. Tuition reimbursement to support employees in job-related courses outside of NWHSU and Tuition Remission for academic courses and continuing education classes offered by NWHSU. Our generous time away program helps you enjoy a health work/life balance.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Northwestern Health Sciences University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate.