- Dahlonega, GA, USA
- Based upon experience
- Full Time
Cigna, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401k
Reports to: Field Director
Embark Behavioral Health is a unique organization comprised of extraordinary programs dedicated to bringing the all-time high rates of adolescent anxiety, depression, and suicide to all-time lows while becoming the most recognizable, respected, and valuable behavioral health organization in the world.
First Light Wilderness Therapy
First Light Wilderness Therapy is a New Vision Wilderness (NVW) program. First Light is an effective and exciting alternative for struggling teens, young adults, and their families, and is the premiere wilderness therapy intervention. We are consistently challenging the national therapy frontier. First Light is the home of cutting-edge trauma-informed care & wilderness intervention.
First Light is currently seeking applicants for Full Time Wilderness Instructors at our Dahlonega, GA location, ensuring a safe and therapeutic milieu in a wilderness context for our groups of 12-17 year old struggling teens. Wilderness Instructors are responsible for groups of up to nine students on backpacking, canoeing, and other outdoor expeditions and will work several days straight in the Northern Georgia wilderness (typically an 8-day on/6-day off schedule). Instructors are in charge of group structure, supervision, safety, curriculum facilitation, teaching wilderness skills, and will be working hand in hand with First Light therapists who treat our children. This position will work in all First Light programs (Adolescent Outdoor, Family, School, and 1:1) and therefore with families and/or young adults too.
Wilderness Instructors are responsible for day to day facilitation of programming, including; risk management, implementation of program philosophy, student supervision, leadership and responsible decision making, communication and the overall care and welfare of up to 9 students in a wilderness context.
Responsibilities include direct care and supervision, completion of daily paperwork, weekly planning of group activities, and logistical duties. Any other duties as defined by the Field Director.
- Wilderness Instructor must be at least 21 years old and a BS/BA degree in related field is preferred.
- Minimum of 1 year experience working in the adventure or outdoor field with at-risk youth, or comparable experience.
- Excellent leadership, communication and problem solving skills.
- Must possess and maintain current First Aid and CPR certification (WFR preferred)
- Ability to lift and carry 50+ pounds for extended durations
- Must be able to pass a Background Criminal Investigation.
- Must hold a valid Driver's License with clean driving record.
- Must pass a post-employment offer medical physical