- Volunteer Programs & Internships
- Boston, MA, USA
- Full Time Regular
New England Aquarium's Volunteer and Internship Department is looking for an enthusiastic, organized, and mission-driven live blue™ Service Coordinator to engage applicants for volunteer positions and coordinate the live blue™ Service Initiative (LBSI)!
The LBSI is an innovative volunteer program designed to connect adults throughout the Greater Boston area with the Aquarium and local environmental issues to further the institution's Conservation Learning strategy. Volunteers within the live blue™ Service Corps volunteer within the Aquarium and participate in field service events such as beach cleanups, setting up/taking down fencing to protect piping plover nest sites, and removing invasive water chestnuts from the Charles River.
The live blue™ Service Coordinator recruits, screens, and engages applicants for volunteer roles, coordinates the placement and on-boarding processes and serves as a resource to live blue™ Service volunteers and interns by providing guidance and support. Reporting to the Associate Director of Volunteer Programs & Internships, this position contributes to the design and distribution of the department's ongoing internal and external communications, helps implement special programs and events, and provides administrative support to the department. The live blue™ Service Coordinator will also support the teen version of this program, the live blue™ Ambassadors as needed.
New England Aquarium has implemented comprehensive safety protocols for employees and visitors to minimize the risk of COVID-19 exposure. As a team member, you will be provided with the training and resources needed to ensure a safe and rewarding experience. In addition, the Aquarium requires all staff to be vaccinated and boosted (when eligible) against COVID-19 unless a reasonable medical or religious accommodation is requested and approved.
This is a full-time regular position offering a comprehensive benefits package:
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off with an expansive Inclusive Holiday policy allowing employees to the flexibility to take 12 paid days that best meet their need to observe, celebrate, and participate in activities related to their own traditions, values, and sincerely held religious beliefs.
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- 403(b) retirement plans with company match after the first year of employment
- Employee assistance program
- Discounted parking/ T-pass
- Free and reduced admissions to dozens of local museums and cultural institutions based on our reciprocal partnerships.
The schedule will be Tuesday - Saturday from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm EST with the option for a hybrid schedule, working some days on-site and some days remotely. Remote days are only available for MA, RI, NH, ME, and VT residents.
- Contributes to the research, development, and expansion of external partnerships with environmental organizations in order to develop service opportunities impacting aquatic environments throughout the New England region.
- Forge relationships with internal and external stakeholders to deliver upon requisites of an expansive episodic service program aimed at delivering field service opportunities based at New England Aquarium and also throughout New England.
- Coordinates the design and implementation of service events: works with the agency to develop logistics, service learning, and appreciation components. Provide onsite supervision when necessary. Occasionally work is performed outdoors
- Acts as a communications liaison for all offsite service initiatives, including interacting with partner agency staff, developing project profiles, connecting appropriate Service Leaders with partner agency representatives and/or disseminating information to Service Leaders.
- Partners with Aquarium staff and Service Leaders to develop a service-learning curriculum for all live blue™ service initiatives.
- Supports the development of marketing materials and social media content relating to the live blue™ Service Initiative, Service Leader program, Classic Corp Volunteer programs, and Internships that benefit programs throughout the New England Aquarium
- Assists department with the administration of the live blue™ Service Leader program and all related logistics and communications, including sourcing, recruiting, onboarding and orientation of candidates, curriculum design and delivery, providing ongoing support, and aiding in project design and delivery.
- Responds to a high volume of telephone and email inquiries from potential volunteers; assists in planning and implementing events and meetings and with volunteer and site supervisory support as needed.
- Bachelor's degree and two years of related experience or Associate degree and six years of relevant work experience in volunteer administration, event management, hospitality, museum studies, adult development, or education.
- A valid driver's license, clean driving record, and willingness to drive a 15-passenger van are required.
- Experience screening, interviewing, and onboarding with proven results in equitable and inclusive hiring practices.
- Experience managing a high volume of incoming and outgoing communication in a Human Resources or Customer Service setting required.
- Experience tracking and maintaining high volumes of data in a database system required.
- Effective communicator verbally and in writing; ability to adapt tone and style for diverse audiences and modes of communication. Experience writing in a business setting.
- Highly organized; able to set priorities, develop work plans, monitor progress towards goals, and track details in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to function and relate effectively in culturally diverse situations and forge relationships with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Willingness to engage in a highly "hands-on" position with frequent community-based work and physically active volunteer projects.
- Demonstrated experience with community building and civic engagement
- Demonstrated experience in inclusive leadership that fosters psychological safety and inspires a culture of appreciation
- Experience working with teens and adults from diverse racial/socioeconomic backgrounds
- Self-motivated with strong problem-solving skills and an ability to work independently as well as on a team
- Experience with MS Office, Mail Chimp, and/or Salesforce is a plus
- Bilingual abilities are a plus
- Ability to lift heavy equipment greater than 25lbs.
- Ability to stand for long periods.
- CPR/AED and First Aid Certification a plus
If your qualifications look different from what we've described above, but you feel your skills are a match for the capabilities we need, please apply!
New England Aquarium is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer as defined by the EEOC.
Here we foster a culture of respect, diversity, and inclusion. We strive to engage and inspire a broad audience with our efforts to protect the blue planet, and we believe a diverse workforce provides experiences, skills, and perspectives that enrich our programs, strengthen problem-solving, add creativity, and enhance our work environment.
Start your life-changing journey today and join in our efforts to protect the blue planet!