New England Aquarium is seeking an experienced Maintenance Mechanic to join the Facilities Team and contribute to the maintenance of the vast mechanical systems that keep the animal collection safe and the facilities operating at peak performance.
The Mechanic maintains, inspects, overhauls, and repairs all mechanical systems throughout the Aquarium and collaborates with individual departments and the Facilities team to provide a high level of service to the organization. This position is part of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), Local 32BJ, District 615.
New England Aquarium has implemented comprehensive safety protocols for employees and visitors to minimize the risk of COVID-19 exposure. As a member of our team, you will be provided with the training and resources needed to ensure a safe and rewarding experience. In addition, the Aquarium requires all staff to be vaccinated and boosted (when eligible) against COVID-19 unless a reasonable medical or religious accommodation is requested and approved.
This is a full-time, regular position schedule for Monday-Friday. Flexibility to work weekends as needed is required.
- Works within preventive maintenance system to maintain mechanical systems (i.e., pumps, filtering systems, piping systems, steam, water, and compressed air systems).
- Inspects, overhauls, and repairs components of mechanical systems throughout the Aquarium complexes in Boston and Quincy.
- Lays out projects, prepares materials list, and completes installations or repairs when assigned.
- Performs maintenance requests as submitted in the Corrective Maintenance System to assist other divisions at the Aquarium.
- Assists during snow removal operations.
- Assists other colleagues in Facilities as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Works one weekend day without direct supervision by Facilities management.
Minimum Training and Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of three years' experience maintaining pumps, filtration systems, and other mechanical systems.
- Electrical and Chiller/HVAC familiarity.
- Valid drivers' license.
- MA Hoist License or a willingness to train and obtain a license required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to take initiative and work independently to complete assigned tasks.
- Strong communications skills and the ability to provide excellent service to internal customers.
- Organized and able to plan projects and execute them in a timely fashion.
- Ability to lift up to 59 lbs. regularly and occasionally up to 100 lbs. or more
For more information, please visit: https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/neaq/jobs
New England Aquarium is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace and is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer as defined by the EEOC.