The Controller oversees accounting and finance functions, and maintains all business processes, procedures, and internal controls related to the New England Aquarium's financial accounts. Strong communication and skilled financial analysis will be essential, as the Controller leads efforts to streamline bookkeeping, budgeting, payroll, and the financial reporting process. Responsibilities will include monitoring the effectiveness and accuracy of all financial records and working to increase the efficiency of business operations. The Controller will carry out policies related to all phases of finance, accounting, investments, cash management and insurance requirements for the Aquarium, and recommend changes to policies, procedures, documents, and internal controls to increase efficiency and adapt to changing business needs. They will also ensure that business operations and financial reporting are in place to monitor and control physical assets, and that all financial transactions comply with GAAP and FASB regulations.
New England Aquarium has implemented comprehensive safety protocols for employees and visitors to minimize the risk of COVID-19 exposure. As a member of our team, you will be provided with the training and resources needed to ensure a safe and rewarding experience. In addition, the Aquarium requires all staff to be vaccinated and boosted (when eligible) against COVID-19 unless a reasonable medical or religious accommodation is requested and approved.
This is a full-time regular position offering a comprehensive benefits package. The schedule will be Monday-Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm with the option for a hybrid schedule, working some days on-site and some days remotely. Remote days are only available for residents of MA, RI, NH, ME, and VT.
- Oversee the operations of the Accounting Department, which include accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, and payroll.
- Maximize payroll efficiency through innovative process development.
- Manage and monitor all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP and FASB standards and regulatory tax and audit requirements.
- Ensure all filing requirements for private contributions, banking agreements, loans, and government contracts are up to date and in compliance.
- Identify key data sources while utilizing data-driven insights to recommend departmental metrics/KPI's to monitor and measure business results.
- Provide comprehensive financial updates to senior management by evaluating, analyzing, and reporting appropriate data points.
- Maintain internal control safeguards for the receipt of revenue, costs and both team and organizational budgets and actual expenditures.
- Develop, enforce and maintain documented internal controls and systems of accounting policies and procedures to maximize the protection of company assets, and make modifications as circumstances warrant.
- Manage the annual audits (Financial and Retirement Plans) of the institution's financial records conducted by independent accounting firms engaged by the Audit Committee of the Board of Trustees. Act as management liaison with the Audit Committee scheduling meetings, determining agendas, developing materials and maintaining minutes in meeting the organization's governance requirements.
- Ensure that internal and external financial reporting requirements are met in a timely manner.
- Support grant writing team with financial tracking and reporting of all revenue and expenses.
- Develop financial models to measure the business and provide financial reporting and analysis on financial results including cash flow information.
- Review historical data, analyze the results and trends, and develop insightful recommendations for investment and cost reduction.
- Work with external auditors and provide information for the annual audit and Form-990 tax return.
- Achieve budgeting goals with proper scheduling, analysis, and corrective action.
- Help develop and support short and long-term operational strategies.
- Lead the ATMS core team with all aspects of the ATMS ticketing system.
- Provide strategic direction to the Finance and Sponsored Programs area to meet the service requirements of those functions to the organization. Represent those functional areas and provide input to the senior management level during the planning of future directions as well as reacting to ongoing institutional needs.
- Measure the performance of, and manage and develop, a team of direct reports to ensure that goals are met and satisfactory service levels are maintained.
Minimum Training and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration.
- 10 year's professional and related experience.
- CPA certificate/designation is preferred.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and computerized GL required.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and spreadsheet design techniques essential.
- Experience developing new or improving existing business processes and procedures in order to increase department efficiency; must have experience implementing those processes and procedures across a team.
- Excellent technical and management skills.
- Well organized, with strong attention to detail and proven time management skills.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in banking, retail sales or entertainment industries would be very desirable.
- Experience with accounting and administrative requirements of federally sponsored programs and not-for-profit accounting is also desirable but not required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong customer service orientation.
- Must be able to interact and collaborate effectively with internal and external customers at all levels.
- Strong financial modeling skills, along with an understanding of financial reporting and cash flow information.
- Should be comfortable presenting findings and recommendations to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees and management to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving, and results.
This position is subject to a CORI background check.
For more information and to apply online please visit: http://neaq.applicantpro.com/jobs/
New England Aquarium is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer as defined by the EEOC.